PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Can somebody point me in the right direction, where I can find more info on falcon pipes? I have seen them as I was browsing around - not sure I like how they look, nor do I think I understand their mechanisms correctly, but they have made me curious. I never came across these, other then e-bay where the used ones seemed pretty cheap ..

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cqj-VaFFI8
just a random vid about falcon pipes

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Falcon's are cheap enough new that I don't see the reason to buy used ones, but YMMV. The principle behind them is similar to a still, in that cooling a gas causes the moisture to drop out. Smoke pases through an aluminum tube which is open to the air all around and ribbed to increase surface area. The smoke is cooled and moisture then drops out and collects in a reservoir under the bowl. A later modification was the placement of a small loop of pipecleaner in the reservoir to absorb the liquid. It isn't necessary to the functioning (Falcon's won't gurgle either way, and you can't generate enough suction to suck the slop into your mouth as with traditional pipes) but it does keep it from dripping if you put the pipe in your pocket or pouch.
The straight Falcon's look less bizarre and quirky than the so-called bent one's, and the plain aluminum one's with black bits look less hideous than the colored one's with white bits. The ultimate cool, dry-smoking Falcon is one with a meerschaum bowl, but they are ridiculously overpriced. The rusticated briars are what I recommend. Be gentle screwing them on so you don't crossthread, and only tighten gently. Honking them down will severly shorten the life of the rubber o-ring.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
You will have to try one to become a Falcon-convert! :wink: They may not win a price for the most beautiful pipes but they simply smoke great and are easy to clean.

Well, and who says they are ugly?

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Try our sponsor Iwan Ries; they'll likely be happy to discuss these on the phone with you too.
http://www.iwanries.com/Falcon-C184.cfm

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
In his "The Ultimate Pipe Book" author Richard Carleton Hacker had this to say, in part, concerning the Falcon pipe: "The Falcon pipe was originally designed in 1936 by an engineer with the unforgettable name of Kenley Bugg, from Fort Wayne, Indiana. The pipe was a system pipe (quite popular with American smokers at the time), but what made it unique was its screw-on interchangeable bowls and its cast aluminum stem. The pipe was initially marketed in 1940, but wartime restrictions severely hampered its distribution. After the war, the Falcon's destiny changed dramatically, when manufacturing and marketing of the unusual pipe was taken over by George Hunt of the Diversay Machine Company of Chicago. By 1954 more than six million pipes had been purchased in the United States. Due to the Falcon pipe's amazing popularity at the time, arrangements were made by a British concern to manufacture and sell the pipes in the U.K. Although test marketed a few years earlier, the pipe was officially introduced to British pipe smokers in 1958 and 30,000 pipes were sold in that year alone."
Here is a link (Falcon Pipe) to some additional information on pipedia.org.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Hmmm ... very interesting fellows, I have found a source in Europe that imports american made Falcons. It seems that they have their own aura, and smoking advantages - you made me curious.

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I have found a source in Europe that imports american made Falcons.
As far as I know they are made exclusively in England and are exported to the USA. If you find a vintage one with just "FALCON" under the stem it is made in the USA.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I won't say "ugly" but they don't appeal to me, even the prettiest ones. Yet, I am sure they smoke and clean like a dream. (for Simon, a nightmare, perhaps)

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
stvalentine after reading ray47's link I presumed they were made in the states. Any how, wherever they are made they are not as inexpensive as mentioned, I have seen them in Romanian stores - both online and brick and mortar, ranging from 50 to 100 EUR. One can buy a good briar for that price, even a meerschaum, but if they are reliable long time smokers I guess it is worth the price !

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Despite Simons horrors about them I find them to be stellar smokers. I am totally with you about the looks and beauty is in the eye of the beholder in the end but it makes no sense to compare them to a "good briar" as they represent an alternative system for a smoking device. Even the best briar or meerschaum may gurgle on you - a Falcon never will! One has to try them (even if some need to have their eyes closed while smoking) to understand them.
@Simon: A Falcon-Cutty - that´s what I still need! :laughat:

Reactions: gamzultovah

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Is the middle tube glued in or just tight fitted? I have one in a drawer and never have done anything with it because the metal tube comes out of the bowl area when I twist the stem. The stem and tube are so tight that the tube and bowl connection I guess is the weaker of the two. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.