PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I had my first Falcon coming in the post the other day. I usually enjoy smaller bowls as I like smoking flake tobacco most of the times, so I thought a Falcon would be great for this particular purpose. I had used it a couple of times so far and it did not disappoint me at all. I really cannot find any flaws in these pipes, cheap though they might be. It might not be the best looking pipe in the world, but when it comes down to enjoying your tobacco, Falcon pipes seem to deliver quite well. Because of the way the bowl is attached onto the pipe, it won't gurgle, whereas the metal shank will cool down the smoke reaching your mouth. I find this quite an achievement. Now I am planing on purchasing a few meerschauum bowls to see how it performs. Shame I never wanted to have one before, but now that I have left all my prejudices behind and got one, I would strongly recommend it to you all. Thank you ever so much Falcon!
photo%2091_zpsyyzewkxs.jpg

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I have 4 stems and 6 bowls, 2 of them being MeerQueen Meers. Find it to be a very nice smoking pipe, but I'm also a fan of MM cobs and EA Carey Magic Inch pipes...

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That's a very nice looking pipe. I think the black and wood combination really compliment each other nicely. I don't yet own a Falcon but have considered buying one several times. Enjoy your new pipe. :puffy:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Mine smokes very well. It's not in the rotation as such. I'm guessing because of the shape. I can't complain about the workmanship or how it smokes. Purchased it out of curiosity.
I like a the ability to load up a few bowls and then head out for the day. The base unit and the bowls can take a beating, it's a handy system.
I like it in spite of it's unappealing appearance to my eye. It is what it is and it's very good at it.

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
Here's a post on pipesmokersforum.com about a fellow in .AU that turns custom bowls in briar. Haven't pulled the trigger on one, but have been thinking about it... I too enjoy the Falcons - very good at what they do.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I like the no fuss no-nonsense approach of these pipes. Yes, like I said before, they don't look the best pipes in the world, but for less than £30 you get a great performing pipe in many fronts. If I went out for a walk, I'd use one of my selected briars to enjoy my tobacco, but for rotation purposes, this is just as good. Also, if you are only starting, I think this could be something to take into consideration along with corn cobs just in case you don't like smoking in the end.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like the dark stem better than the bright aluminum colored one, although they are both aluminum. I didn't realize until recently that Falcons are made in UK. A point of pride for the Brits! I'm often tempted, although I have so so many pipes, I barely get around the rotation as it is. I have some briars that fill the work horse role.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
I haven't seen those black stems before. I thought the only black stem available was the "International" which had the golden ring. Where are these black stems sold?

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
Here's a hunter I modified into a nose warmer. AFAIK, the bantam shorter stems only come in the bright aluminum:
RKP46c3l.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
U.S. retailers are missing a real opportunity to sell these black stem and twisted color stem Falcons. I think they'd do a brisk business. The standard aluminum stem looks a little bit "plumbing supply," but these new versions have a lot of class and style for seemingly about the same price.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I heard somewhere that they require a pipe cleaner that is thinner than usual.

If so, it would be a bit of a PITA to keep a supply of "special" pipe cleaners.

It also implies a draw diameter that is more narrow than I would prefer.

So, interesting concept; but not a pipe for me.

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
Naw, no special cleaners needed...

Also, consider the hole in the bottom of the bowls are about .5" in diameter. I'd say they have an average if not more open then most pipes draw feel to them.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I heard somewhere that they require a pipe cleaner that is thinner than usual.

Falcon does make thin pipe cleaners and I have used them, but they are so thin that they don't really clean the tube all that good. I use standard pipe cleaners for my Falcons and they work much better.

P

pipebuddy

Yup, a regular Brigham'sor JB Long pipe cleaner does the job.
I have a few of them. Even though the tobacco taste is somewhat reduced because the shank is not briar, I still like them a lot. They're great for a quicker smoke (with the smaller bowls like the Bulldog and Billiard, for example) and you can carry 2 or 3 stems around with as many bowls. They are very compact and so practical.

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
Yep, great as a weekender kit if you don't want to bring your more expensive pipes, say if you're camping...

Status
Not open for further replies.