PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

welsh1

Lurker
Feb 26, 2015
Hi I am thinking of buying a Falcon pipe as I like the idea of one at the moment iI have two estate pipes briar from eBay

Falcon seems affordable and offers a cool smoke or so they say.

Any thoughts for a beginner in his second week of pipe smoking.

Thanks

number6

Might Stick Around
Apr 28, 2011
Falcons are great pipes with a long interesting history. The only problem you may find is that the bowls can be a little on the small side.

Since you are just starting on your pipe adventures, I might suggest you add a MM cob pipe or two to your collection. They are relatively inexpensive and give a great smoke.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
Both Falcon pipes and MM cob pipes are proven good smokers. Falcon pipes are also great for outdoor, and there are larger 'jumble' size bowls available.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
They're a very forgiving pipe, they do smoke fantastically well and smoke drier than a standard briar pipe once broken in.
The bowls are smaller than on some briar pipes but still last me around an hour so no problem for me, I find the dublin bowl to be a fantastic for Va/VaPers. I presume you're UK based, GQ tobaccos seem to be the best price for falcon bits
You'll need the thin pipe cleaners

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
Also, compared to regular briar pipes, Falcon pipes are virtually indestructible. They are the only pipes that I don't worry too much in case I accidentally drop it, or have a bicycle run over it.

welsh1

Lurker
Feb 26, 2015
Thanks guys I will jump in the Falcon route I don't mind the smaller bowls and yes I am UK based

CCheers

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Falcons are cool, as are Meerschaum. I just avoid them so as not to start a whole new accumulation. Love my briars and cobs, and a few Mountain Laurels.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Do not separate the bit from the stem, they are not supposed to come apart.
James Norman sells bowls for pretty good prices.
Falcon's are great pipes. I used to think they were gimmick pipes until I tried one and then I was hooked. Regular BJ long cleaners will fit so don't waste money on the special Falcon pipe cleaners if you can avoid it.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I own 6 Falcons and several extra bowls. I bought mine on the bay as estates. Easy to clean, don't try to separate the stem, and there are enough of them around, so don't buy one with a lot of "chatter" on the stem. 4noggins is an excellent resource for new pipes and bowls.
I've found mine to be steady, cool smokers. Enjoy!

darthcider

Jan 24, 2014
Wales
Jump right in, Falcons are great.

Buy from a shop if you can and try the different bowls, as they all feel different in the hand.

I bought a Genoa bowl that I don't use, but love my apple bowl.

lenticular

Lurker
Mar 9, 2015
Hi from just north of the Brecons !
I started pipe smoking again last year and accumulated several Falcon stems and all the various Falcon bowls.

They smoke easily and well, with the bonus of the "dry rings" that soak up the goo !

As someone previously mentioned they are hardwearing and I use them while out and about and save my Petersons and Upshall for when I am relaxing at home.

As someone said, the bowls are on the small side but the "Snifter" and "Istanbul" are larger and give a longer smoke.

I also enjoyed the Istanbul with the Meerschaum lining.

I may well offer them as a collection on EBay soon as I am now into collecting some of the high end limited editions.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I have 3 stems, 6 briar bowls, and 2 meer bowls. If your interested in a meer bowl for you Falcon try MeerschaumStore.com. Very good product from him and a PM sponsor to...

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
@welsh1
This is not an attempt to trigger an early onset of PAD for you.

But I just found these recent re-issued 'Falcon Shillelagh' emerge again. See if you may like their look, they are some relatively rare find. :wink:

http://www.cigar-connoisseur.co.uk/acatalog/Falcon_Shilllagh_Twisted_Pipe_Stems.html

http://www.smoke.co.uk/acatalog/Falcon-Special-Pipes.html

Status
Not open for further replies.