PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

aeropuffer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2016
A Falcon pipe can help you to become a better pipe smoker. If you are puffing like a freight train. The stummel of the Falcom will become so hot as to burn your fingers as you hold the pipe. If you are only sipping on your Falcon, the stummel will only become warm to the touch. The ash will burn all the way to the bottom with gray ash.

Has anyone got a picture of a good looking Falcon. I don't think I have ever seen a good looking Falcom.

gmjabsky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2015
Agreed in some "negative sensory reinforcement" if you puff too fast! That aluminum gets hard to hang onto. While my Falcon looks hideous, aesthetically, I find a little beauty in the engineering and material selection.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I have no idea what your eye would like. I know what I find pleasing. I think my Falcon is a not unreasonable looking smoking tool. Very utilitarian and the extra bowls are convenient. Not every bowl smokes to a "fine gray ash" in any pipe I own. If I overheat a pipe I lay it aside for a few minutes.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'm still trying to figure out my new Falcon. It just seems like the draw is very tough, especially with that little doodad of a filter.
6r2TTdN.jpg

Mar 1, 2014
Does the shank actually get hot?
Ironically the Falcon is actually designed almost totally wrong if they want to cool down the air, the shank would be much more effective at spreading heat if it were covered in fins. But I guess you can't complain too much about a design nearly hundred years old. These pipes are almost as intriguing for their historical value as much as practical. I think it's the only aluminum shank pipe you can post pictures of on the forum without getting negative attention.

But for the price I don't mind the hindered functionality, coming from GQ they're as cheap as a nice Cob.

aeropuffer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2016
That is a beautiful Falcon, Thanks tuold. That's the first I've ever seen with a gold frame. Whats the blue thing in the middle made of?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Wow! You are smoking hot! I've never thought you could get a Falcon that hot. The shank on the two Falcon's that I own hardly even get warm... Slow down, young grasshopper!
Edit* I'll have you know, I love my Falcon's and the design is absolutely practical! Perfect for smoking while working, ie. mowing the lawn or working on your car. If ya run it over with the mower, you'll still have a perfectly good pipe, although ya may have to buy a new bowl.

jruthledge

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2015
I had a tight draw on mine with the absorbent ring in the compartment under the bowl. I just use a pipe cleaner bent into a circle. I found that if I just left the circle open where the draft hole meets that little chamber, then the draw problems went away and that little pipe cleaner ring still does it's job of absorbing moisture very well. I also found that it smokes just fine without a ring in there at all. But for god's sake don't let the bowl be higher than the bit or all that juice will pour right down the stem.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I had draw problems with my Falcons at the start also. Found the cure on the net. Used the rounded knife on my pipe tool to very very slightly ream the hole at the bottom of the bowls. Problem solved.
I also make my own dry rings from pipecleaners. I like them just long enough to go about 3/4 the way around the reservoir, staying well clear of the draft hole. I also remove the bowl right away after a smoke (never had any bad results) and swab around the hole after every smoke to keep tar from constricting it. Also swab out the reservoir and pop in a new dry ring. Nothing grosser than leaving the wet grungy one in there.
Falcons are the pipe I tend to smoke in public. I like that I don't need to use a pipecleaner in mid-smoke, because that always elicits snark from nonsmokers when they see the brown gunk on it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've avoided Falcons and meerschaum pipes so as to avoid another round of PAD. I have quite a sufficient affliction with briar, Mountain Laurel, cobs and a clay. Yes, there are some eye-catching Falcons pictured here. I think the basic Falcons sold at most online retail sites are pretty homely, though they have a certain industrial techy charm.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Glad it ^ worked for you. Seems like the guys who make the Falcons don't smoke them or they'd make the hole a few 10ths of a millimeter larger. Out of the box they draw ok empty, but smoking them, by the middle of a bowl the tar buildup around the outside of the humidome and inside of the bowl hole constricts it severely.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
'A falcon pipe can help you become a better pipesmoker' Ha, in my case it made me ditch the falcon & incrase my collection of comoys & petersons, so i suppose they do help. I couldn't get on with mine, as a constant puffer far too much fiddling about & cleaning is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.