PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Hello everyone
I just recieved a tin of Esoterica Dunbar. I've never tried it before so I have nothing to compare it to. Here's my issue, the label on the tin looks like it was made on a computer. Where it says the name of the tobacco is highlighted in a purple kind of pink color and the ink has an airbrushed look to it. Kind of like the old bootleg cd's I used to buy off the street back home in NY when I was a kid. Like I said, I have nothing to compare it to but to me it just looks chincy. Not something I would expect from such a renowned name. Any thoughts?

May 31, 2012
WE R OWNZ ALL UR EZOTERIKA
I think it's real.
Where'd ya get it?
I wouldn't doubt if bootleg versions started popping up though.
Yeah, tin art is definitely something most manufacturers suck at nowadays,

not only is most of it chinzty,

but some of it actually hurts my eyes!
The simple classic style of the Esoterica designs are actually one of the better examples out there imho.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I'll post a pic as soon as I get home. I'm running around righr now. Thanx for the quick replies though. You all on here are great!

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Alright... I'm having trouble posting pics but I opened up the tin, let some dry out for about twenty minutes, toasted a bowl and let it sit for a couple hours. Even as a novice I can tell that this is exactly what I was looking for. It started off kind of mild and then I got to that thick and oily smoke that is described by others about Esoterica blends. The packaging really threw me off because again, just not what I expected from this tobacco. Live and learn... sorry if I alarmed anyone but again, the packging is just damn cheap looking. I mean I'm a fan of good VaPers. I think Dunhill Elizabethan is great and imo the art on the label is beautiful. This one not so much. Anyway, it's a great smoke and have no fear, to my knowledge there is no influx of fake Esoterica blends.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I've thought for awhile that we may actually see this happen someday. With the demand and price being what it is on Esoterica. After seeing the rash of fake cigars that were all over the place back in the 90's, you never know.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
I have been smoking and hoarding Esoterica for years.
Considering how excellent Esoterica's tobaccos are, their labels do look surprisingly cheap.
But the proof of the baccy is in the smoking of it, and it seems you have the real thing.
Enjoy the Dunbar. If you want to try another Vaper from the same blender, try Dorchester.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I'm actually surprised that fake tobaccos don't pop up more often myself. Considering all the other things that are counterfeited and how easy it would be to tin some inferior weeds and put an in demand brand home made sticker on it. Although an inquiring mind and a forum like this would make it difficult for anyone to make more than a few measley bucks doing something so dishonest.
Also, the Dunbar is great. Like nothing I've ever tasted yet. I took out a few bowls worth and put that in a glass jar so I have a bit more to savor. The rest of the tin is going in the closet / tobacco cellar to get some age on it. I will try the Dorchester when I can get my hands on it for a reasonable price.

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
I thought this thread was going to be about tobacco from other makers that try to be as close to a particular blend as possible.
I am a diehard Esoterica Penzance fan, but can't afford the high prices. So I've been looking for a substitute. I read somewhere on here that someone thought Cornell & Diehl Pirate Kake was a very close substitute for Penzance, but maybe just a tad milder. I gave it a chance and have to agree with them.
I hope I didn't hijack the thread too much. :puffy:

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I haven't been lucky enough to get my hands on any Penzance yet. I will try the Pirate Kake. I'm all up for trying whatever since I'm still trying to find what I like... and there's no such thing as hijacking my thread. It's all evolution. Just stay away from the J.F. Gremain Double Egg Roll blends!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the tobacco pipe smoking demographic is too small to reward any knock-off blends with

big profits. This is covered by the "match" blends which make no effort to disguise that they

are a substitute product. So I'm betting this is just a legit, very popular blend making a buck by

cutting costs on tin art. There is some cheesy art on tins, but also some excellent work.

I like most of the art on McClelland tins, G.L. Pease, Cornell & Diehl, and Sutliff. Some of it, I wish

I could flatten out and frame, maybe as a grouping in one big frame. Some of it is lovely stuff.

CD's Riverboat Gambler looks like an Edward Hopper painting.

Status
Not open for further replies.