PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joemaxhammer

Lurker
Apr 23, 2013
I recently purchased the below picture Eyup Sabri pipe. I love the amazing craftsmanship or the hand carving and design. Can anyone tell me if it appears to be authentic and or approximate value? I know Eyup Sabri has passed a few years ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

1_zps3bfe6247.jpg

2_zps6c5ce649.jpg

5_zps004ace33.jpg

7_zps94aed65d.jpg

8_zpsc1bd78ff.jpg

4_zps618fb215.jpg

joemaxhammer

Lurker
Apr 23, 2013
Thank you everyone for your responses. When I seen this pipe I had to have it and got it at a great price. Its just so hard to find any information on Eyup Sabri's pipes and or anyone selling one. Joe

meercatpat

Lurker
Mar 28, 2014
Massachusetts
Nice pipe, Joe. My name's Pat; I'm a brand new member here as of this morning, but I've landed on this blog several times during past searches for the same kind of elusive Eyup Sabri information you're looking for. Believe it or not, I just scored a near-twin (or should I say 'triplet'?) to your 3-headed dragon: another Eyup Sabri 3-headed dragon, this one with red-jeweled eyes and heads on scaly, snakey necks that extend up and out from beneath the bowl and turn back (freestanding) around the bowl to look back toward the mouthpiece. No case or tamper or certificate with mine, but it is in perfect unsmoked condition and this morning I feel like the luckiest meerschaum collector on the planet. My Sabri question is this: were there TWO Sabri's carving in Eskisehir in the latter part of the 20th century? You and I undoubtedly have pipes carved by an Eyup Sabri who signed the shank collars of his works with two large script initials, "E.S.", usually preceded by a date, and his style of carving suggests he was heavily influenced by Heironymous Bosch's paintings. However, I have what I believe to be several examples of a DIFFERENT Sabri, one who carved very detailed large sultans and vikings, and who sometimes signed their shanks "O. Sabri", except that the "O" has what looks like a tiny stem emerging from it's top at about the 1 0'clock position and curling to the right. Can you give a couple of meercats some help here, Fred?

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
What an extraordinary looking thing. I think I would be afraid to smoke it.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The Turkish carvers can produce some startling designs. I can fully understand people collecting them. It seems a shame to smoke such a work of art, although some would argue that smoking the pipe brings out the subtle effect of the carvers art. You have a beautiful pipe there and I believe there is a book in Turkish on the chap that carved it. I lived in Istanbul for about a year and often would see pipes in the curio shops off Istkikla Street among other places. I will email my friend Idil and ask her what the book is called and maybe you can get one through Amazon although I suspect it will be in Turkish although I do seem to remember it was lavishly illustrated.

meercatpat

Lurker
Mar 28, 2014
Massachusetts
Thanks for all the kind words about the 3-headed dragon. To see more pictures, along with photos of some of my other vintage virgin meers and two of my 'frequent-flyer' favorites, go to the album under my profile. And should anything in there ignite your passion, don't be shy; I've never been one to stand in the way of true love.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
very nice, I am envious, I want one, I need a second Meer.
Found some links for you
http://www.instappraisal.com/appraisal/vintage-meerschaum-pipe-1983-eyup-sabri-3-headed-dragon
http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/carved-meerschaum-pipe-by-eyup-sabri,-istanbul,-608-c-db82f17987
Welcome to the forum MeerCatPat, nice to have you with us and thanks for sharing the information

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I don't know anything about a different Sabri, but this dragon pipe is very much in the style of Eyup Sabri, one of the earlier carvers to begin signing their pipes along with Ismet Bekler and Ismail Ozel. Lovely find there! Sabri's boxed pipes often came with those meerschaum tampers. His stems sometimes, such as in your case, look like black horn, but I haven't examined one so I don't know if it's horn or just marbled plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.