PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Based upon a Facebook post, I just checked all of my dozen or so bags of various Esoterica blends. More than half aren’t really sealed. If they’re not hard, be suspicious. The primary point of failure is in the corners where the gussetted sides form four layers. The dates on these bags span a period of about the last year, but I don’t have any older than that, so I would simply recommend that you check every bag you have. Fortunately, the tobacco feels okay still, so I have caught it in time, probably because the bags have been stored with the top part of the bag folded over the full portion of the bag.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Let me correct my stats a bit. Exactly half of my bags containing ribbon cut tobacco have incomplete seals. Another one or perhaps two have pinholes that developed at a fold. I can’t verify the second because it’s already been resealed inside another bag, but a gentle squeeze proved that there are holes. My four bags of Penzance and Stonehaven seem better, but the only tin of Penzance I ever opened had a bad seal and was bone dry.

opus777

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 12, 2018
I have a nice older bag (approx. 8-10 yrs old) of Stonehaven that appears to be fine with no issues. Should I remove the flakes and jar OR jar the whole unopened bag?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If the bags have been handled a lot—or mishandled—the corners (on the sides) can get punctured. One out of about ten I've had was damaged. Not seen a problem with the top seal yet.
Esoterica bags their stuff at a very high moisture content, so there's a bit of leeway. Pressing the bag slightly it feels very soft and pliable.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Let me just say that I would strongly suggest that you do not allow yourself to be dissuaded from checking based upon reports from individuals saying they haven't seen a problem. I might have said that myself, if I hadn't taken the trouble to actually carefully inspect my bags. I have examples of failed seals on Margate, Dunbar, Brighton, Pembroke, Dorchester, and And So To Bed from 2017 and 2018. It's not variety-specific nor limited to a single drop. Carefully separate each of the four corners to check for a seal. Even at that, I'd be suspicious unless the bag is firm.
As for me, I'm either going to move the tobacco into jars or possibly vacuum seal inside another bag. These bags are too susceptible to pinholes even with careful handling to trust for long-term cellaring. Yes, some and maybe even most will be OK, but the failure rate it too high to take any chances.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I've either transferred to a jar or doubled bagged with large zip lock. The latter isn't a perfect solution and not one I'd use for vey long term storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.