PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldbaccy

Might Stick Around
Mar 31, 2019
While waiting on some of my orders to come it, I decided to get some local health food store organic extracts to experiment with.
Brand name: Flavorganics Organic Vanilla extract (non-gmo).

I added 3 drops of unflavored vodka and 3 drops of the vanilla extract to approx 1/2 teaspoon of distilled water.

Shook it up in a vial container and used a dropper to drop 6 drops onto 2 bowls worth of tobacco placed onto a cutting board to dry for approx 1/2 hour. Results were not as anticipated. I then added 6 drops of the extract alone to approx 2 bowls worth of tobacco, mixed and let sit for few minutes. Results were much better. Doesn't taste like vanilla but definitely enhanced the flavor of the tobacco. The tobacco used was dark horse regular pipe tobacco.
Up next will be Flavorganics organic almond extract and Flavorganics coffee extract.
Anyone else experiment with extracts and cheap pipe tobacco? Any suggestions?

papawhisky

Lurker
Jan 29, 2019
Austin, Texas
Generally when using OTC extracts they only effect the "Tin Note" of a blend. They do not survive the changes due to pyrolysis and pH changes in the smoke during the burn. That's why aromatics contain a witches brew of more complex chemicals to provide a specific flavor profile during a smoking session. How many times have you heard someone describe an aro as: "It doesn't taste like it smells..."
By no means am I trying to discourage you from experimenting! Keep playing around - it's fun.

papawhisky

Lurker
Jan 29, 2019
Austin, Texas
If you have access to a home brew store for beer, browse their flavoring section and pick up some licorice root. Make an extract of that with some vodka. Adding this to a harsh blend will help smooth / sweeten it, but will not make it taste like licorice if used moderately.

Status
Not open for further replies.