Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I was standing in the checkout line at the local WalMart a few days ago (pre Black Friday chaos) and happened to be in the line that has the tobacco shelf behind the counter. I noticed they had some pouches of Prince Albert and it ocurred to me that I've never really given these old "codger blends" a fair shot.
So, on a whim I decied to grab a pouch of PA and start making it a point to work my way through these OTC tobaccos over the next few months. I figure they are cheap, readily available, and there has to be some kind of reason why they've managed to stick around for 100 years.
Ever since I started pipes, I went straight to tins and quality bulks and never even considered these. The idea of some old blends be new to me sounds like a fun change of pace.
I'm sure many of you guys have sampled these blends in the past so I'm definitely open to suggestions on which, if any, you enjoy.

oldredbeard

Jul 20, 2012
Personally, Prince Albert is my go to tobacco. I like it with a cup of coffee in the morning, or anytime I just want a good simple, straight forward burley. I have tried several others I like also, like SWR and Granger. BTW Captain Black white is a good cased tobacco with a nice room note, for an OTC blend too

guitarguy86

Jul 6, 2012
Half & Half kicked me real hard, Captain Black has a wonderful smell, but I found the taste to not be as pronounced. Prince Albert was another strong one, not exactly my style, but I can say I've tried it. Sir Walter Raleigh was another one I tried. Out of these four blends, I'd say Captain Black is the one I would settle for.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I tried Carter Hall for the first time yesterday. It is good stuff. It is very good to mix with Boswell Northwoods to make "Carter Woods" as Cajun has labeled it.

tedvig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 21, 2011
PA is my morning ritual. Honest and straightforward, it's a fine smoke.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I like PA & CH, & I use them to mix with, usually to cut another tobacco I don't like that much. 1/3 ea CH,1Q & Black House was good to me

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
P.A. is a fine smoke, especially in the morning with coffee like oldredbeard and tedvig said.

It can be boring though. That's when I mix in a little Perique (5%) to give it some pizzazz. Perks it up nicely.
In the OP msandoval858 said
there has to be some kind of reason why they've managed to stick around

Ya, a lot of us are guilty of running-down some blends, like Mixture 79; but somebody must be buying them because

they've outlived a lot of boutique blends that either went belly-up, or pulled out of the American market.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
In over 40 years of pipe smoking I've tried nearly all of the OTC blends but have not tried PA, which is amazing to me. I'm going to see if I can find a packet for my cobs. I remember liking Revelation, Barking Dog and Country Doctor, all of which had latakia, and for my sweet tooth I'd go to Sugar Barrel. Because the OTC's were/are American they tend to be burley based so if you're a fan of that weed then they are worth exploring.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I always liked Captain Black, but I recently tried Sugar Barrel and I love it. Great stuff.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
I smoke a bit of Sir Walter, but a couple ounces will last me a long time. It is a good mix with something like BCA or 1Q.
Have wanted to try Sugar Barrel since seeing it, but have never pulled the trigger

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
I always keep a couple tubs of CH, SWR, and Walnut on hand. Simple no nonsense tobaccos. I find that CH will help "reset" or "Exorcise" a pipe after it gets a bad taste or a ghost. Also CH is good for breaking in a new pipe.
Walnut is "complex" for an OTC and for the price its a very good value. If I was stuck having to pick one OTC to smoke forever, it would be Walnut, or maybe CH.

deithial

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2012
Prince Albert is a great burley and is in my daily rotation (usually in the am) another fav of mine is Half and half, its probably my favorite of all the OTC. Carter Hall is good but just made me want PA. Capt Black White is another good one, smoked that for years when I first got into pipe smoking. Can't really say the same for Capt Black royal or gold, didn't care for em. Paladin was alright as is Middletons Cherry, never been a huge cherry toby fan to begin with. Smokers Pride is a big bag bulk OTC, had the Black Cav & the vanilla, both are decent on there own but make for better blenders.
One I would recommend staying away from is Velvet, is just awful, horrid after taste. At least save it for dead last, don't wanna put a foul "OTC blends are garbage" thought in your head. Cause that one probably would do it.
One thing to keep in mind with OTC's, if you don't like em don't throw them away, most (yes even Paladin) make for good blenders. Happy smoking my friend, taste the old country.

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I'm pounding through a pouch of Capt Black White right now. It's been a nice change of pace from my steady diet of VaPers for the past 6 months. I'm not typically one that goes in for aros but the girlfriend loves it, the flavor is slightly sweet and, like I said, a nice change of pace. It only bites when I really push it (as in I'm about to pull into the driveway) and the only residual moisture I've noticed is when I either 1) don't finish the bowl to the bottom or 2) I execute the old clench and drool. It just goes to show that you don't always know what you don't like until you try it and if you don't like it, try it again in year, 5 years or even 10 years.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I'd like to add a word of praise for Kentucky Club. I enjoyed this the most of the codger burleys I smoked (except for Walnut). Prince Al Choice is better than PA, IMO, but tough to find. I tossed some in the box pass.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I see P&C sells a "Match" of this one, but I can't find any reviews -- the only reviews are on the original House of Windsor Barking Dog ...
I keep tellin myself I need to try a little of the match,just have not got around to it yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.