Experiment: Match vs Zippo vs Bic vs Old Boy Vs Torch.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
The goal of the experiment is to test the damage that the different kind of flames can make to the wood on the rim of the pipe.
Damage is defined as charring and darkening of the wood.
The hypothesis is that damage will be proportional to the temperature of the flame. Theoretically, flame temperature goes (from less to more): Zippo, Match, Butane, Torch. There can be differences in temperature from oxygen and fuel exit pressure.
Expected result: I was hoping to demonstrate that zippo and match would create no noticeable damage, while a normal bic and old boy would show no difference among them, but a considerable bigger damage than the previous 2. Torch was expected to be the more damaging, but very concentrated.
Surprises in the result:
As we will see, one unexpected result of the experiment is the possibility of darkening due not to the temperature, but to the purity of the flame. "Dirty" flames stain the wood beyond cleanable possibilities (wood absorbs the stain), without damaging the integrity of the wood. Other unexpected result is the difference in the depth of the damage. Some damage is small and concentrated but runs deep in the wood, eventually damaging the material.
Description of the experiment.

Five classical lighting tools were applied to a plank of wood. The tools were (in this order)

- Match

- Zippo for pipe

- Over the Counter lighter

- Corona Old Boy

- Torch for cigar
lighters.jpg

The wood used is the cover of a cigar box. This is soft wood and will show damage faster than hard wood. I admit that it does not show the potential cleaning virtues of darkening of briar.
plank.jpg

The experiment was conducted like this: To the static flame, the wood was applied, near to the border, for exactly 2 seconds (by chronometer).
Here is the result:

flame1.jpg

It comes as a surprise that the zippo darkens widely the wood, almost as much as the butane. Old boy concentrates the darkening in a very small area.

The torch, despite its concentrated flame, causes a wide damage.
But here is another important result:

flame2.jpg

The depth of the burning. Less easy to see, it is concluded that match and zippo barely burn the wood at all. The butane lighter does an small but irrefutable burning. Old Boy on the other hand concentrates a higher temperature in a smaller area, getting to burn the wood deeply.
Conclussions:
Matches are, by far, the less damaging to the wood in terms of darkening and burning.

Zippos are safe to not burn and damage the wood, but their flame is very darkening due to impurities.

Bic and over the counter butane lighters provide small burning and darkening, but in a broad area.

Old boy comes as a surprise. Its "angle" comes from higher fuel pressure which increases the temperature causing narrow but deep damage.

Torch is very destructive to the wood in width and depth.
Repeated experiment as control:

control.jpg

Final word: The experiment is conclusive about the damages of the flames to the wood, but does not take into account the actual practice of the smoker, such as time employed to light with different lighters, and the ability of pinpoint the flame to the tobacco. Considering that, results in a pipe can change from person to person.
I encourage the experiment to be replicated to test, broaden or rectify its conclusions
Carlos.

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Also, some pipers light a shis ka bob stick and light the pipe with this. Pretty cheap. I for one prefer paper book matches. Unfortunately they are difficult to purchase at stores around here. The flame of paper matches is much smaller than box matches yet still adequate for the pipe ignition. Scripto sells an 85 cent butane adjustable flame lighter that has a nice small flame. Bic is ridiculous. Some of my nicest pipes have 3rd degree burns from a Bic.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Pretty nifty little experiment. Thanks for posting. I tend to stick with kitchen matches and this only confirms that I am making the right decision in my mind haha.

gungnir

Lurker
May 22, 2012
Wow this was pretty interesting thanks for posting your results of your experiment carlosviet
@lazydog

don't they give out free paper matches at the gas station or any tobacco shop usually give them out at cigarette stores, at least over here in California

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Interesting. I think my Thunderbird insert, in a Zippo case would yield a result somewhere between the Zippo w/fuel and a match. Adjustable flame, turned way down. I still prefer wood matches, when possible.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Very interesting experiment.

I will stick with my matches and old boy. Thank you!

Might try this myself.

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
thanks for a job well done. Interesting results.

I stick with Zippo (pipe insert) or kitchen matches, usually for getting deep into the bowl.
I do notice a large difference between the two, dont know if id call it cooler or sweeter? cant put my finger on it but i like it better with matches.

colesradioactive

Might Stick Around
Apr 3, 2012
While the corona old boy is being mentioned, has anyone had any experience with the xikar version of the old boy? I've been thinking about getting one but can't find anyone that's used one for any length of time. Sorry for getting off-subject

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Xikar design wise is pretty much the same, it is lighter than the old boy. Personally I like the heft of the old boy over the Xikar version, makes it feel like its made out of better materials, wether that's true or not. That said the Xikar model is nice and works well and I wouldn't turn one down.

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
This is a great experiment and I think it helped me a lot take my decision on what to use to light my pipes.. Thanks

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
A most interesting Zombie thread. I have been using matches more and more. This will encourage the practice. Again all the missing/disappeared members are there and gone, and to quote Mr. LC:
"...ghost avatars still humming a soft hallelujah chorus even after being buried deep down in the dust..."

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've adjusted my routine to use matches for all breaking in. After that I use my Old Boy all the time. I probably hold it a bit higher than most do above the bowl to draw the flame down and prevent the ember from getting to be "liquid hot magma" as Dr. Evil so eloquently put it.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Anyone have much experience with the IM Corona Pipemaster? I have been eyeing them for a bit and might buy one just to try it out, but I would like some experienced feedback if anyone has been using one.

Status
Not open for further replies.