PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'm sure I'm missing something, but I have yet to see Root pipes that have grain nearly as impressive as current spectacularly-grained pipes that sell in the $1K+ range.

For example Perreti has a 1996 Root pot with straight grain which I would rate as present but weak, at least in comparison to any number of pricey smooths. It is here:
http://www.ljperetti.com/estate-pipes-category/dunhill.html
For example a Matzhold smooth volcano in smokingpipes banner is selling for $1800.00, which price is almost twice the price of the Dunhill at $925.00, which is estate, and thus if new close to the price of the Matzhold.
But the grain of the latter is 3 or 4 times better! This may be an oversimplification, but I read the verdict of those who do know the quality of Dunhills. the last Dunhill having been made on the bench in the mid-sixties, that anything made since is going to be of lower quality and surely current production is overpriced by 100%.
It seems to me that Dunhills, rather The White Spots, are still going strong by virtue of the Dunhill mystique, and the comparatively weak grain of Roots is almost always overpriced.

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Also understand that Perreti is NOT competitive in estate pricing. Their estate market tends to be well heeled local/tourist trade in a very expensive town.
Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.