PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
Well, THAT is interesting ... big fish swallowing smaller fish isn't always good news for the smaller fish, but in this case, it might work out well ...

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Increased production/distribution.....hmmm. Time to stock up on a few things?

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Kevin is always starting rumors. LOL

This is a good one, I look forward to good things. That's a great article Kevin, it looks like a win win for both companies and the public will have more access/distribution of those fine tobaccos.

Jan 8, 2013
So I'm curious if Smokingpipes.com will have exclusive "house" blends at some point, like Pipesandcigars.com with Hearth And Home and Brigadier Black.

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
anthonyrosenthal74 -- well, there's the Low Country blends, which are pretty close to store exclusives. Interestingly, they're created by Sykes and blended by C&D. I've got a couple tins of the Waccamaw in the cellar.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I knew Craig Tarler from way back when he and Patty first moved to North Carolina. I knew of his respect for Sykes Wilford, the majordomo at SMC.
I believe this will be a great merger for Chris, Patty and all the C&D folks. It has the potential to pump up tobacco sales, since the C&D website left a lot to be desired and has not been really changed in years.
The tin art for C&D blends has always been special, something Craig insisted on and had a steady hand in developing.
But it is to the blends that I want to speak. C&D as most of us know has some of the most outstanding day-to-day pipe blends on the planet. SMC has probably the premier pipes and tobacco website on the planet. You marry those two bodies, and I can't see anything but just an outstanding future for both companies and pipe smokers in general.
It could even open up to more Low Country tobacco, which already is very, very respectable pipe tobacco. C&D has long been known for its burley based blends.
I am very excited about this turn of events. I have several friends at C&D, including Chris and his mom, and my old buddy, Keith Toney, the Civil War historian.
All-in-all, I am like Kashmir: this is a wall-to-wall win-win all around.
A tip of the hat to Sykes and to Chris.

dottle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2012
Well, good thing, bad thing,,,,only time will tell. :puffpipe:

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Sounds to me like an all around win. All the companies are high quality and have loyal and sizeable followings. Can't wait to see what Chris comes up with now that he can concentrate on the blending and what Greg Pease turns out with the new resources.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good constructive mergers, on an amicable basis, can work in everyone's interest. As a customer of all three

outfits (counting Savenelli) I feel reassured that a number of my favorite products will remain available, and

that the merged organization will be run by people who understand and care about pipe smoking.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
This move should give C&D and GLPease more shelf space at local retailers as well as deeper resources to pursue new projects. Good luck to all the players.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Usually not one for mergers, but this one seems like a good thing. I look forward to increased availability.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I guess I should get around to trying a C&D blend huh? lol
There's just so damn many! Glad to hear they'll be sticking around long enough for me to get to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.