Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Excellent clay pipe from Dawnmist!

(45 posts)
  1. nemrod

nemrod

Login to Send PM

Hello pipers!
    I received my brand new "Hello Beastie" clay pipe from Heather at Dawnmist Studio just now and thought I'd share this piece of art with you!

Not only does it look and feel great, the two bowls I've smoked in it so far have been excellent! The bowl naturally gets hotter than on a briar (though not as hot as my other clay pipe, the walls are thicker on this) and gives a surprisingly cool smoke, my other clay pipe smokes good but this is several notches above that! It also brought out the flavours in Mixture 965, which is what I've smoked in it so far, splendidly. I haven't been a big fan of the blend before but this made me appreciate it much more and I can't help but drool at what it might do to some of my favourite blends! The only downside is that the bowl is quite small.

This is what Heather says about the pipe on the Dawnmist website:

My new design is a special pipe based on original 17th Century pieces but with a modern twist! Originals are thought to show a mariner being chased by a crocodile, however with my version I have shaped the bowl to look like a certain "mutual friend" pirate character facing another of the great sea creatures... the Kracken! I hope you will enjoy smoking this witty design.
    Stem length 8 inches (21cm). The smoking chamber size is approx 35mm deep and 15mm diameter on the inside at the rim. The surface is all hand burnished on the stem and part bowl. This pipe can be smoked. The mouth end is NOT glazed.

Here are some pictures taken by me:

And finally one of a very satisfied piper:

Has anyone else got a Dawnmist clay pipe, and if so, how do you like it?

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. lordnoble

lordnoble

Mod

Login to Send PM

Does the non-glaze end stick to your lips like other clays?

-Jason

The preceding statement is not to be construed as fact, but merely conjecture.

Proud member of the BlackBlood Society
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. nemrod

nemrod

Login to Send PM

Just wanted to add that Heather was very enjoyable doing business with, I inquired about all sorts of things by mail regarding how to clean it, firing temperatures and so on and she gave me exhaustive and good answers all around. 5/5 stars for pipe, price and service.

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. nemrod

nemrod

Login to Send PM

lordnoble: yes it does, I think I lost some skin the first time I put it in my mouth, haha! I drool a lot when I clench so it's perfect though Jokes aside, just adding some saliva and it seems to be just fine, doesn't stick particularly much after that.

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. clanobucklin

clanobucklin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How do you clean the pipe? And how long will a clay pipe last? I am interested in maybe getting one..

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. nemrod

nemrod

Login to Send PM

clanobucklin: A clay pipe will last until you break it. It does break much more easily than a briar so you'll have to be a bit careful. If you give it a good drop it will most likely break. If you bend it with enough force it will also break. Naturally you can't carry it around in your pocket (most are too long for it anyway) or chances are you'll break it. Just make sure to hold it by the bowl when you pack it and try not to walk into walls with too much force and it'll be fine, really, it doesn't break for nothing. It's fired clay and should be treated as such

Regarding cleaning it's actually much easier than with a briar. You can pretty much reset it to the state it was in when new simply by re-firing it. A kiln would be optimal, of course, but the self-cleaning routine in a regular oven is said to work good. I personally put my other clay pipe in the oven at 300 degrees Celsius after extensive smoking and it got all the tars and stuff out of the pores in the clay, but unfortunately my oven seems to have imparted a slight flavour to it that I hope will go away with smoking. I think Heather cited a guy saying 400 degrees Celsius is recommended but I can't attest to that personally, 300 seems to have worked for me though it took several hours to get it all nice and white, the hotter the faster and better I suppose. Regarding just regular after-smoke cleaning not much needs to be done, really. Clay is much more absorbent than briar (and especially stem materials like lucite and ebonite) which not only results in a drier smoke but actually removes much of the need for using pipe cleaners in the stem after smoking, which is good since some clays won't readily take pipe cleaners all the way through (though I've been able to fit them in mine, but it's a very snug fit and I have to be careful not to use too much force). Now-a-days I just bend a pipe cleaner and make sure to get out the ashes from the bowl so as to not build anything resembling a cake.

They're cheap so there's no good reason not to try, an experience that can't hurt, and who knows, you might come to love them.

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. morlader

morlader

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice pipe Nemrod,I have a 5 1/2 inch clay I smoke fairly regularly,not as well decorated as yours though

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. clanobucklin

clanobucklin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Okay! Thanks...I might try it. I like the shapes and style. By the way ...how long of a smoke do you get out of yours...have you ever timed yourself?

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. nemrod

nemrod

Login to Send PM

This one has a relatively small bowl so it's definitely much shorter than with a regular-sized briar, but I haven't timed it yet. Since it smokes so cool I've noticed I tend to smoke faster as well, not as much hot air to warn me that I need to slow down, haha. I'll try to time the next bowl I smoke!

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. clanobucklin

clanobucklin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Okay...let me know...I am curious - how long of a smoke you get?

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. antipodesman

antipodesman

Login to Send PM

I have found a bit of shrink-wrap on the end of a clay pipe is effective. Not only does it prevent the clay biting the lining of your mouth but I find it very comfortable to clench. Clenching is not so much of an regular issue with a churchwarden but even so I like to stabilize the pipe with my teeth. If you haven't tried shrink-wrap give it a try.

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. nemrod

nemrod

Login to Send PM

I only got 10-15 minutes with this pipe, though I'm not a slow smoker it's definitely a short smoke

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. nemrod

nemrod

Login to Send PM

antipodesman: I was actually looking for heat-shrink tubing before I smoked the first bowl but I don't seem to have brought any with me from home to my apartment.
    Never even seen shrink wrap in small scale I think, if I'm not mistaking it for something else I think I've only seen it used in big machines to wrap large items o_O

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. romeowood

romeowood

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's your best source for heat-shrink polyolefin tubing. It's available in diameters from 1/16" to 2", so should cover just about any pipe you have.
    And thanks for the post, nemrod, that pipe really does look like a charmer. It's now on my PAD list!

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. capnbellamy

capnbellamy

Login to Send PM

I loved my clay up until it broke, and then I was extremely sad. Looks like a wonderful piece though, I'll have to check this lady out!

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. lonestar

lonestar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've admired Dawn Mist studios for a few years now, but dont own any of her clays.
    Its a great site to research old clays though, I've found info on her site that I couldn't find anywhere else/
    I'd expect her pipes to be a step above most of whats out there, and wouldn't hesitate to buy there
    Glad you like your pipe, its one that caught my eye awhile back
    http://www.dawnmist.demon.co.uk/pipesale.htm

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. ohin3

ohin3

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I dig that pipe. Now I feel I must satisfy my curiosity about clay pipes and get one of these. Love the Kracken motif. Anyone know if clay pipes change colour like meerschaum pipes?

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Clay bowls will darken with use, and in the past, like 40 yrs. ago, some double-walled clays were coated inside
    to differentially resist this darkening. The result was a little scene or image emerging as the clay discolored.
    Quite nifty. I'll have to post a pic of one developing an image. In the mean time, you may wish to learn a little
    more by visiting Lepeltier Pipes.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 3 years ago #
  19. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here is a new one along with one i have smoked for a couple of months, Phil.

If at first you don't succeed you are running about average.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I have never smoked a Clay, I think I just may hav to get me one. Yours is gorgeous, I like it!

Posted 3 years ago #
  21. bootlegbonvivant

bootlegbonvivant

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's awesome. I've been interested in getting a clay pipe for some time. Might have to give it a go soon.

Southerners don't talk slow because they're dumb, we do it because there's really no rush.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

It's your fault nemrod! I just sprung for one of her smaller ones. How long did it take for yours to arrive?

Posted 3 years ago #
  23. lonestar

lonestar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nemrod, seems you've started a trend !

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. foldedflat

foldedflat

Login to Send PM

I ordered a churchwarden clay pipe from Heather several years ago, and it was excellent. I can second the recommendation wholeheartedly!

During a move, I broke it accidentally. This was a silly thing for me to do.. I've always wanted to order another; this may be the right time eh

Posted 3 years ago #
  25. nemrod

nemrod

Login to Send PM

ohin3: Just like meers they turn brown with use as the porous clay sucks up tars and things like that, much like Arthur showed. Here's a picture of a smoked Dawnmist pipe from the site:

They can be "reset" to their original white form by exposing them to heat, for example with an oven cranked up to max.

baskerville59: haha awesome! That marine design looks great as well, makes me consider ordering one of her short ones again already xD I placed the order late May 3 and it got to the post office here the 16th, so a bit under two weeks.

I'm glad to see such an interest in clay pipes, it's becoming one of my favorite materials because of the great smoke quality to price ratio.

Posted 3 years ago #
  26. cortezattic

Cortez

Login to Send PM

I see the link to Lepeltier Pipes in my previous post didn't make too big a splash, eh?
    IMHO double bowl glazed clays are much better pipes than the rustic "Tavern" clays.
    Here's a couple of pics of a clay I've had since the late 60's. As it is smoked a scene
    emerges under the glazing; this one is a bucolic scene with three maids with baskets
    approaching a pond. Hard to focus on curved, glazed surface.
    Brand unknown, style name is Manhattan.

Posted 3 years ago #
  27. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have one just like that Cortez!

Posted 3 years ago #
  28. cortezattic

Cortez

Login to Send PM

Old fart, eh?

Posted 3 years ago #
  29. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yep. Never really liked it, just never got rid of it either.

Posted 3 years ago #
  30. foldedflat

foldedflat

Login to Send PM

If you find the stickiness of the dry end annoying, dipping it in melted beeswax or paraffin (with a pipe cleaner in there to pull out after the dip) will create a nice smooth area that will last a while.

Posted 3 years ago #
  31. juni

juni

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have two Dawn Mists too. Although I don't really use clays that much, they are really nice in an antique sort of way.

Fun fact: In the early days of pipe smoking clay pipes were sold packed with tobacco as a use-once-then-throw-away nic dispenser. That is why you can find lots of old clay pipes in the banks of the Thames river in London.

Posted 3 years ago #
  32. jimbo

jimbo

Login to Send PM

That's a kewl looking pipe, nemrod. I notice yours is not like the "barber pole" in the ad (contrasting clay colors, which I had never seen).

I have several "traditional" clays, mostly by Stephen Bray of Nova Scotia (I don't think he's in business anymore. ) He mailed me the pipes in boxes filled with cedar shavings.

I have tried the likewise traditional method of cleaning clays: I waited until the mesquite wood fire in my fireplace has burned down to hot coals, and lay the dirty clay pipe on the coals, laying a few coals on top too (with tongs). The next morning I was amazed that the dirty pipe was now snow white, looking brand-new! Of course, the wax at the mouth end was gone. I'll have to try that shrink wrap trick!

Posted 3 years ago #
  33. cortezattic

Cortez

Login to Send PM

@foldedflat, great tip about the bees' wax! Thanks.
    Sounds like Jimbo had already heard of it. It's a 1st for me.

Posted 3 years ago #
  34. romeowood

romeowood

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Recalling this thread, seeing a current thread mentioning cuttys and clays, and then visiting Dawnmist Studio's website...well it reached critical mass this morning and i snagged one of her new black clays. They're gorgeous. Also got a nice personal note from Heather, and pointed her in the direction of this website; not only so that she could see all the praise that had been bestowed on her in the forum, but to avail her of all the great wisdom, both technical and anecdotal, that can be found in these threads.

Bravo, artisans of the world.

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. pawpaw

pawpaw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

nice bump Romeo
    now just one more for my PAD

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I checked out Heather's website, pretty nice clays there...I like this nose-warmer one

Posted 2 years ago #
  37. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Four clays in my stable, a Goedewaagen, an Irish Souvenir, and two Lepeltiers. Clean smokes if you can get past the heat.

Posted 2 years ago #
  38. pawpaw

pawpaw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

are the lepeltiers any cooler?

Posted 2 years ago #
  39. nathaniel

Nathaniel

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Man I love the shapes of clays! I wish someone would start making briar shapes like that. *cough UncleArthur cough*

Posted 2 years ago #
  40. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a bunch of clays. They are all good smokers if you remember the main rule. Don't touch the bowl while smoking. Picture Nathanial pictures.

Posted 2 years ago #
  41. juni

juni

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a couple of Dawn Mists too, they smoke great but the bowl does get really hot.

Posted 2 years ago #
  42. romeowood

romeowood

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My Dawnmist pipe arrived just in time for the labor day weekend! It's a dainty little thing, accepting about 1/3 of a coin of well-rubbed LBF; I think it would prefer a fine shag cut tobacco the best. The weight and feel of it in the hand is delightful, and with a bit of shrink tubing on the lip it's comfortable to clench for a perfect 15 minute smoke break. I'll be adding more Dawnmists to the collection for sure.

Posted 2 years ago #
  43. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Nice looking pipe Nimrod!

Posted 2 years ago #
  44. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's a wee beauty Romeo!

Posted 2 years ago #
  45. romeowood

romeowood

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In the words of my old English teacher, 'Tis! That first flake went down smooth, time for another.

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   barleynbaccy, gphenry, jlr1, timely, ssjones, pruss, lestrout, txbeerboy, tbradsim1