PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjm1

Might Stick Around
Sep 4, 2014
15 years ago I quite smoking cigarettes. I am considering picking up a pipe to help me relax and unwind. However there is a concern about inhaling. Will I automatically and unintentionally begin to inhale? And would there, after having a little smoke in the mouth, be a temptation to do so? I know that is somewhat of a personal issue, but at the same time there must be a consensus, and I would like to hear from those who might have some experience. thanks.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
You are probably long enough removed from sucking on cigarettes that this will not be a problem. I still enjoy cigarettes and sometimes have to consciously remind myself not to inhale into the lungs when smoking the pipe or a cigar.
I do inhale the pipe or a cigar intentionally now and then, very infrequently, just to enjoy the feeling.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
If you've been away from the cigs a long time and you inadvertently inhale pipe smoke your lungs will let you know in no uncertain terms that this is a really lousy idea. Wouldn't take more than one or two episodes of full on coughing and hacking to cure any lingering tendency to inhale.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
As a cigar/pipe only smoker, I can only agree with darwin. I inadvertantly inhaled both cigar and pipe smoke a time or two. Not a nice feeling.

roryrumfelt

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2014
If you have been that far away from cigs, chances are itl be hard to get "down" even if you were tempted.

I dont think you will really fell like you have to inhale~

Id say to just ty it out and if you have that feeling maybe take a step back but i always recomend it to ex smokers who still miss the rituals.

Jan 8, 2013
I still puff on a few nails here and there, but when I smoke a pipe I don't inhale. It seems (to me anyhow) to be a natural thing not to inhale with a pipe. I just hold the stem on one side of my mouth, draw in some smoke, and let it escape out the other side of my mouth. I've only inhaled inadvertently when talking and breathed in while puffing.

Status
Not open for further replies.