Everything finally clicked. Hope for beginners!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
I have been smoking pipes for a little under a year now. My first ever half bowl ended because I ran out of matches (a full box!) and had burned my mouth. There seemed to still be plenty of tobacco in the chamber!
I knew I needed help. I found this site and slowly started to learn by reading all the great information here. Practice and more practice and things started to fall into place so that my mouth is fine and I started to really enjoy the whole learning process. I am pretty relaxed and don't mind relighting several times a bowl as needed. Today after a pretty physical morning in the yard I loaded up the same pipe I started my pipe smoking journey with (Peterson Dublin 68). I loaded the chamber as high as I could because I knew I had all the time in the world which is often not the case. I had a charring light, tamp and the real light. I spent my time reading a good book and watching the hummingbirds come into the feeder, then saving the laundry on the line as the rain started to fall and finishing the bowl under the eaves of the house as the rain gently feel. Near the end of the bowl I was amazed that I had not had to relight. Everything just clicked, it all felt right. I don't mind if it takes another year for this to happen again as I don't see it as the be all and end all of pipe smoking. I think, in realising it, I had a change to reflect on my pipe smoking journey so far. What a pleasure it has been. I certainly look forward to what might be around the corner as I explore more blends and try and control PAD.
Thanks to everyone here who have shared there tips and tricks now and in the past.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Congrats! Big congrats! The first perfect bowl. Just gets better from there!
Happy Puffing

Duane

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Needless to say, you have arrived [in as much as you need to at this point]! That first bowl that just seems to be just right is true epiphany. But obviously there are many more lights that produce exceptional disappointment. Ah, to live and learn. Welcome to the Brotherhood of the Pipe. You have reached an important landmark.

oldredbeard

Jul 20, 2012
Congrats sir. I remember that moment well in my pipe smoking journey. Here's wishing many many more.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
It sometimes happens, and happens a tad more frequent with experience. That's not to say that a perfect bowl is one that never needs a relight (which doesn't mean squat), but it is indeed nice when it just all seems to flow along seamlessly. Just finished a bowl of Squadron Leader while playing a game of chess with a char light, and then only one true light to the bottom of the bowl. My mind was on the game, and only the occasional tamp and before I knew it forty minutes or so had passed, the bowl was down to ash, but... I lost the game. Hey, everything can't be perfect! :wink:

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Sounds like a great day and a great smoke! Those are great for sure...wishing you many more. :puffy:

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Love to hear it when it all just comes together! Makes it all worth it, and there's no greater feeling! Almost like those great 80's montages!! Keep it up!!

Status
Not open for further replies.