PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fish

Lurker
Oct 11, 2013
I have a gift card at an online dealer and I want to buy a cheap but functional briar. My choices are basically Wessex, Dr. Grabow, Or an Everyman pipe. I am still basically a newbie, but I know you guys might have some thoughts on this. All help will be greatly appreciated. Fish

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I just bought an estate Dr.Grabow Starfire myself it's a #22 which I think are just gorgeous. However, as it just arrived today I haven't smoked it yet.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Welcome to the forum, Fish! You've come to the right place, it's a great bunch of guys around here! As for your question, the only one of those that I've smoked is the Dr. G's. I have two of them, a Belvedere straight billiard ( which is a stinger pipe, I don't care for stingers that much) and a Royalton 1/2 bent bulldog. The Royalton is a great pipe! I'd put it up against some of my pipes that cost 5-6 times as much! I've heard good things about the other two brands, I just don't have any personal experience with them. Hope this helps!
Dan

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Wessex is now made in Italy and looks like a good pipe too. I think this is a win situation, no matter what you choose.

I guess, by firsthand experience, I'd have to choose the Dr. Grabow. That Royalton bulldog is just a honey, as I've said before.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I'm guess that's JR gift card? I bought a Wessex from them, and I like it a lot. Took about 5 bowls to break it in and get rid of a slightly unpleasant taste. I have no experience with the Dr.Grabow or Everyman, but this sounds like it's not a bad dilema to have. I'm going to get an Everyman from them, based on the favorable reviews.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'Hope you like the one you get, because often, inexpensive pipes just steal your heart and live forever.

It doesn't keep me (us?) from buying the more expensive, tonier pipes, but most of us find the less

expensive to be some of our best smokers, decades on end.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's a bit like companion animals. It's just a durn mutt, or cat, so we let them weave their magic into

our heartstrings. They study us while we do other things, and pretty soon, they know us better than

we know ourselves. An old cheap pipe can be like that too.

Reactions: Greywolf

fish

Lurker
Oct 11, 2013
Thanks to all who have responded with great comments and advice. Newbies like me are grateful, and I appreciate your thoughts and time. I have a hard time pulling the trigger sometimes. Fish

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
mso489 said:
Hope you like the one you get, because often, inexpensive pipes just steal your heart and live forever.

It doesn't keep me (us?) from buying the more expensive, tonier pipes, but most of us find the less

expensive to be some of our best smokers, decades on end.
BIG +1. I have a Grabow Crown Duke that handles like a dream. I have 'good' pipes that never lived up to potential, and restored junkers that give hours of pleasure.

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
I have a couple Everymans that I really enjoy, as well as Guildhalls. Another Comoy second, look very similar to Everyman

spud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 10, 2013
Thank you Guys for the info on the Everyman and Guildhall. I didn't know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.