PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Ever buy a pipe by way of auction, but you weren't exactly sure why? There was something about the texture even though you can't gauge texture by looking at a photo.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Interesting... I never have previously. I suppose it's not a good thing when one questions their own actions huh? I'm not even a big fan of Ruthenberg.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've done it a few times Nate. Sometimes I bid because it's so low and I kinda like the pipe. Usually I get outbid, but sometimes I win, then I ask myself, why did I do that?
As for your pipe, I know why I would buy it, but I doubt I would bid enough! It's a classic beauty!

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I have a Northern Briars Regal Rox Cut that has a similar finish. It's visually interesting and very tactile.
Usually I buy a pipe because I decide I want it. Reason enough.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Yes, but admit it's either because the pipe, or shape/finish spoke to me or I had heard good things and those thoughts were rolling around up there, haven't really been sorry either.

banjo

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think that's why folks keep buying pipes after they have plenty of pipes, the sense that the unknowable will lead us to great experiences. Let me see, if I had won that pipe at auction, I think my ulterior motives would have been its powerful solidity, its gnarly texture, and its simplicity of design. It's not a pipe that draws me right away, but I can see its attraction. Also, it looks like it would hold a good hour of blend.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Something about it caught your interest. That happens, you can't always put your finger on it but it just called out to you. That's reason enough. It isn't like it's and ugly pipe either. Classic design, great texture, eye candy. The whole idea of burning up your money in a wooden furnace isn't really all the rational to start with, so why would you need a rational reason for buying a pipe? Just enjoy.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
If I'm going to spend lavishly and buy a pipe, those that interest me start at ~$300.00. So no, I wouldn't spend that much money unless I was sure about the pipe's allure.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have bought pipes solely based on how well I think it will smoke my flakes and honestly did not care for the looks of it.
I almost went after that Ruthenberg you got because I know it will be a killer smoker.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
What I suppose I meant was that sometimes I see a pipe I really like the appearance of, but somehow I already know it's a pipe I won't love. It's a pipe I can love right now, a tryst if you will. You watch the clock wind down and a part of you is really hoping you get outbid and you're already regretting ever bidding to begin with. This is, of course, followed by a walk of shame.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I've never purchased a pipe without knowing the reason for my purchase... I have, however, purchased pipes when I know damn well that I shouldn't. This is a particular challenge when it comes to buying estate lots. Since the birth of my daughter I've had a full blown freeze-out on pipe restoration and have now amassed a collection of over 50 pipes to clean up and move on, plus a handful of new additions to my collection which I need to clean up and sanitize before I can enjoy them.
I've had to put a wholesale hold on buying, because I just can't stop looking at estate lots. PAD is an evil mistress.
-- Pat

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
hello, my name is Mike, and I'm a pipaholic,
For someone who traded a what was it? Oh, yeah, a J.T. Cooke special edition so that he could get something 'better' or 'more to his taste' or 'to his liking'...no, no more surprises from you.

Consider yourself fortunate that you can find some sort of solace for your impulsive nature without harming anyone and actually enjoy and learn from the process.

Thank you for sharing.

gphenry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2014
Peterson Rver Liffey. Because of the silver band? Saddle stem? I have not smoked it yet, but it is pretty.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Newbroom, Cooke makes awesome pipes, but after having a bad experience with the man I was turned off from his pipes. It's not about trading for "better" it's about finding pieces that fit you which sometimes means making mistakes... Especially with buying online never having been able to handle the pipe prior to purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.