PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
jmfOqOg.jpg

s8Yungc.jpg
I say epic because the exercise unto itself is rather epic, that is, making a sandblasted monoblock allbriar pipe.
I have a special thing about briar stemm'd pipes and have a small quiver of them, but I really really get big woody in regards to the all-one-piece monoblock allbriar --- it's a glorious form in my eyes, but very archaic, they were most popular around the turn of the 20th century and are seemingly so oldtimey that they've been forgotten about, as one never really sees 'em much.
And a blast'd example?
Even more scarce!
I was extremely pleased when I approached the pipemaker Evan Wiseman with my idea and he accepted the challenge, and yes, it is quite a technical challenge --- I can't really explain why, but I know that it's a major pain in the ass to make one, and requires a skill and determination to do so.
That's why I was so stoked when Evan said "hellyeah!"...
http://instagram.com/wisemanpipes
...and by golly,

he knocked it outta the park, complete with that ultra-gnarly blast that he's known for.
:puffy:
I had saw one of his "baby billiards" on his instagram page and thought it'd be perfect for a monoblock allbriar

--- he not only said yes, but he said hell yes, and delivered the goods with deft aplomb.
It's a great little pipe and one of the more unique pieces in my collection.
I'm totally stoked with this here pipe!
:!: :!: :!:​

v7fI8pm.jpg

uzrkIIj.jpg

S16EvJd.jpg

KFTMz2K.jpg

BR1lsyF.jpg

X67kzkH.jpg

iHppHzs.jpg

AJDRfQb.jpg

zilNrfV.jpg

IPymPBu.jpg

rQ24J7s.jpg

gevfq0N.jpg

lEPRAfp.jpg

xT0VRB1.jpg

aCvLSh8.jpg

Z5MRynh.jpg

04j9er2.jpg

Ms2CcJb.jpg

May 31, 2012
You don't see many like that
No,

you sure don't.
I was lucky to find an oldtimey specimen,

but it's a smooth with an oddly shaped bowl...

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/the-fabulous-french-all-briar-has-arrived
Evan made a dream come true for me,

and I'm very thankful to him.

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
She's a beauty brother, I know you are proud as a kid on Christmas Morn. :wink:

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
mlc, that is a very nice pipe! I love the blast and then the transition from blast to smooth for the bit.....is just very appealing to my eye. Congratulations!!

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
That's really beautiful. I'm jealous! What is the length and weight of this pipe? It seems like it would be heavy. It also looks like is has a very open draw. Very nice.

May 31, 2012
Thanks everybody,

I'm really happy to finally have a blasted monoblock allbriar,

Evan built it good too!
What is the length and weight of this pipe?
About 90mm long

Weighing in at 15.8 grams
It also looks like is has a very open draw.
It does, a very smooth open draw.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Nice pipe! Pretty excited to find a new (to me) carver...until I went to his instagram.... 8O By Jove, what an uncouth youth. Unshaved, likely unshowered, and he's probably a farter.

May 31, 2012
Nice pipe! Pretty excited to find a new (to me) carver...until I went to his instagram.... 8O By Jove, what an uncouth youth. Unshaved, likely unshowered, and he's probably a farter.
:)
He's a fookin' classy chap!
Seriously,

I like his instagram as you can tell that it's all as honest as the day is long, unafraid to be himself and let it all hang out, totally unpretentious with a free spirit shining through, but also with a rigid measured discipline which is clearly there, and that combo always appeals to me.
As a person I consider him to be a cool dude, wonderful chatting back 'n forth with, and as a maker he was great to work with, making the process an easy and enjoyable joy.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
All of these things are true... Evan is also a gentle, friendly and hardworking father and husband. Just don't ever tell him I said so!
He is doing all the right things to hone his craft and embed himself in pipe-land. I expect more very good things from him.
Troy, congrats man. That's an awesome pipe and you deserve it.
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.