PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

truenorth

Lurker
Aug 4, 2014
Hey All,
I have already decided what to do on this one, and am now curious as to what the pipe veterans would do.
I started collecting pipes a few months ago. I'd get an occasional one at an antique store, usually a heavily used Dr. Grabow for $8 or so. I bought a nice brand new one at Iwan Reis, and then picked up a few in Ebay auctions. You all know how it goes on the Bay. I bought 8 pipes (turned out to be clunkers. How'd I know?) for $40. I bought 21 pipes and rack for $80. After a month of finding nothing in Thrift stores and antique stores I decided to put an ad in the regional "shopper" paper looking for pipes. I then got a call from a guy that lives about 60 miles away, coincidentally in the same town my 82-yr old mother resides in. I drove over and met him at his home.
He was a 90 year old guy. Walker, lap dog, frail. He was a great conversationalist. We had some great conversation about working in the mines (my father did, as did he). He was very interested to learn about pipe-smoking competitions. He had nicely displayed a pipe rack and jar and some lightly smoked pipes that were pretty run of the mill from what I could see. A Willard Panel, 2 Dr. Grabows, a Medico, and a couple of cobs. There was also an Edward's Canadian that I liked and a goofy looking thing that I hadn't seen before. The jar had filters and cleaners and stick matches. I told him (honestly) that I had been buying used pipes for $5-10 each online and I offered him $50 for the works, and he flinched a little but say what the heck. He told me that there was one in the tobacco jar that I didn't see. It was a little pocket pipe still in the bag. Whatever. I've never been interested in those. We talked for a long time. He quit smoking in 1971 so these things hadn't been touched in 43 years. We thanked each other for the time spent and I left with my pipes.
When I returned home an hour later I did a little research and discovered that the Goofy looking one is a Yellowbole "Chinrester" that is apparently kinda rare. I have seen them mentioned on this forum and that they have gone for $30+ on Ebay. In addition to that, the pocket pipe is what I'm writing about. It is a Big Ben Pipo that is in perfect condition, in the bag as I mentioned. I looked around online and see that these go for anywhere from $40 - $100+ brand new. I don't know if a 50-year old one is worth more or less than "new" price. So my question is this: He didn't have any idea what the value of these pipes was and I feel like I should have paid the guy more given that the Canadian is in such nice shape, the Chinrester is a very unique pipe, and the Pocket pipe is probably worth at least $40. It is bugging me that I got this guy's collection for so little. But is was an honest deal made through a newspaper ad. Q: Is it appropriate to swing by when I'm over there this weekend and give the guy some more money? If so, what's fair?
Also: regarding the Big Ben Pipo. Is is pronounced "pie-po" or "pee-po"? I don't want to sound like an idiot.
Thanks!

Gordy (Truenorth)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Strictly speaking, the old gent set or settled the price, so the deal stands. However, if it were me, and if

it is possible to stop by again in the not distant future, I would stop around and give him additional money

for the special pipe. Just say you discovered it is worth more, and give him additional money, either full

price or split the difference, since you are above and beyond the call of duty here. In these yard sales, it

is understood that the people want quick cash for what to them is clutter. Everyone knows if they took

months to sell each item, they might make a little more money, but you are saving them time and giving

them quick cash. So if you pick up a prize, that is part of the benefit.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
You shook on the deal and it's done. But you'll sure feel a lot better if you give him some extra money, and you will never regret it.
Pipo prices are across the board. I have a pipesandcigars catalog from January where it costs $95, but in the same catalog you can buy the Hall of Fame Pipe Set, with the Pipo, two tins of The Smoker tobacco, a pipe knife, cork knocker and pipe cleaners for $60. On their website right now, the Pipo's $37. At smokingpipes right now, it's $85. So...hmm.
PS Definitely be a man and give him more money, because you are not required to do so.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Having been in that situation a few times here's what I did. I gave the other party additional money. As Jiminy Cricket once said, "Let your conscience be your guide."

It comes down to whether you have principles or ethics, how much you value them, and how cheaply you would sell them.

Jan 8, 2013
I would do it. I'd stop by and give him the money. Two reasons.... The deal is done, and you're not obligated to do so, but it would be a great show of respect. Being his 90s he has surely watched the decline of that very thing... a decline of respect for fellow man, a decline of honesty, a decline of principle and honor. You must remember, the world was a different place when he was a young man, when people cared about each other and it wasn't just, "me, me me me me." I believe it would give him hope for the world that there are still good people in the world, and that even strangers can be kind to one another.
Here's the second reason... A man is never to old to make a new friend, and I bet he has some great stories to tell. It might be worth it, just to sit on his front porch and chat.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
It is a done deal. You didn't swindle him. You just got a good deal. I wouldn't worry about it. If you average the cost per pipe you probably paid more than what the cobs were worth.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
I would say it might be even better to get some kind of tangible item other than cash to drop off to him. If he hasn't smoked in decades it's no skin off his back to sell them to you but the gaining of a friend, like AnthonyRosenthal said, would be a great and a nice sign of respect. Giving him more cash would just be a little strange in my mind because 1) how much more do you give him? 2) is he going to think you swindled him so badly that you now feel guilty when in reality all you did was make a fair deal?
I think the safest bet is a gift and a handshake along with the story of how much you appreciate his pipes and that they are worth both sentimental and monetary value.

truenorth

Lurker
Aug 4, 2014
Thanks All! Plenty to think about. I had already decided to go give him so more money, just need to figure out how to be classy about it without making it seem like I REALLY underpaid for them.
I am still waiting for someone to help out with the pronunciation of Pipo. :)

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
On the one hand, sure - you shook on the deal, he accepted it.
On the other hand, you both bargained in good faith, but without all of the information you both needed to really evaluate the true worth of the collection.
Since you stated flat out that it's "bugging" you, and you mentioned the older fellow "flinching" at the initial offer, I'd say that it sounds like you've already decided that the deal was not quite one that you're comfortable with. If it were me, I'd contact the seller (rather than just swinging by next time you're in town) and make an offer to settle up with an amount that you feel is more fair. If he refuses, then I'd definitely consider lincolnsbark's suggestion of a gift of some kind - though if he's 90 and selling his pipes, he might not need any more "stuff", but use your best judgement on that...

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Great comments by all, look him in the eye and Say Sir I believe they are worth more than I paid, shake his hand and give him what you think is fair. For it to bother you you are of good character, your folks raised you right. Case in point I just tipped a young plumber 100$ for damn good work and for not skinning me installing a tankless water heater. You've made me feel good about humanity. :clap:

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I am lying in bed trying to close my eyes and not think about the great deal the I got but perhaps not the way that I had planned. I think I am falling asleep only to notice that my eyes are still open. What the heck, I say, next time I visit my mother I'll drop by and give the guy the split-the-difference amount and an explanation of the quality of the unknown pipe. I fall asleep...

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I wouldn't give him more cash. The price was agreed upon, and giving him more money would be awkward. BUT I would definitely get him a special gift that's worth what you feel you owe him.
The gift would not be a renegotiation, but a one-way transaction from you to him.

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
All posts on this thread indicate the caliber of the members of this Forum. One item that I would like to point out, just to help you accurately guage how much you may or may not have "under paid" the seller. I recently purcahsed a Big Ben Pipo in excellent condition with the pouch, also in excellent condition on Fleabay for about $15 and it appears that this is about the price the used market is fetching for this pipe at the moment. It , of course, is up to you the buyer to determine the actual price you think your Pipo is worth. Sorry the accounting side of me rears it's ugly logical head from time to time. As I've mentioned in a previous post the Pipo is an excellent pocket pipe!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I agree with the general sentiment of the thread, but I don't think you underpaid at all, actually. In order to fleabay those pipes and get top dollar, you'd have to clean them, photograph them and spend a bunch of time putting together ads, etc. And in order to get top dollar, the pipes would have to be in great condition.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
...next time I visit my mother I'll drop by and give the guy the split-the-difference amount and an explanation of the quality of the unknown pipe.
Truenorth, he's 90 years old. You better not wait too long.
Seriously, the fact that this was a concern to you shows you have good character. You will feel good after you resolve this for yourself and you will have also made someone else happy. Everyone wins. The world is a better place.

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
++++1=5 for Anthony who could have not said it better, as mentioned the older gent being a great conversationalist he is probably lonely and would welcome some good old tyme conversation that does not involve Facebook or My Space! :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.