Estate Tobacco Pipes Prices.. Need Help.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zwerx921

Lurker
May 16, 2013
I have been a pipe smoker for several years. I got bored smoking the same pipes over and over, so I decided to find a few pipes to restore and smoke. I bought a few and restored and smoked them. I have told a few friends about my hobby and it must have spread that I restore pipes. A few days ago I received a call from an elderly lady that found out I restored pipes and she told me that her husband smoked a pipe for years. She said that he was in some type of Foreign Legion group and he traveled all over the world. She just mentioned that he would bring a new pipe home every time he came home. She asked me to come over and look at her late husbands tobacco pipes. I looked into the box and I thought to myself..."I think I just hit an Estate pipe jackpot!" There had to be over 50 pipes in that box.

I will share a picture of all the pipes soon, but I am wanting help finding a price for a specific pipe that was in the box. It is a Marxman "The Four Hundred" (400) pipe with a 14k gold band.
There are a lot of nice pipes in this box.
Thanks for any help.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Howdy zwerx921,
Congrats on the find. A Marxman 400 was one of the top of the line Marxman pipes that were created starting in the 1930s by Robert Marx. I am not sure when the brand died (it was in the 1950's, I believe), but Marxman pipes still have a following although the pipes themselves are not what we today would call high end pieces. The Marxman 400 series with 14k gold bands, if in good shape, will sell for around $50-$75 on eBay. And sometimes more, depending on whose watching that particular week.
Best,
Pipestud

zwerx921

Lurker
May 16, 2013
Thanks Pipestud for responding back about that pipe. It is in great shape still, so I might see what I can get out of it on ebay sometime soon.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Bruce Harris is/was the pre-eminent collector of Marxman pipes in the USA. I don't have an address for Bruce, but he has more information on the brand than anyone. The Marxman pipes do not have a large following but the history and quality are excellent. Especially for the high end pipes like the 400 series.

Status
Not open for further replies.