PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Hi hi. Ive pondered the buying of estate tins for some time. If the right deal is there, they are cheap and as Ive only been smoking a few months, it's the best way to get aged tobacco. Here's what I got:
Item: 111088330413
Fireside industries era MacBaren 7 oz Scottish Blend.
Im a go big or go home guy (as much as budget allows.)
Feel free to critique the buy, and also if there are tocaccos to NOT buy when they are 30ish years old.
Thanks!

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I agree with u about not buying stuff available today on principle. I jumped at price and aging. If it works out I will cellar the other two and keep shopp8ng for deals. Thanks Roth!

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
That's one of my Top 3 favorite blends (currently). I've not had the pleasure of smoking it aged (I've got one put away for the foreseeable future) but I'm sure it will be delightful.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I really only enjoy buying aged tins when I can get them close to what the blend goes for at today's retail. The problem with buying aged tins is it can be cost prohibitive to purchase more if you find something that you really enjoy.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Unfinished. I troll ebay quite a bit (read: a s%*@ ton).
Cider: I agree. But since the stuff is usually $4-5+ an ounce and this was $2.43/oz I should be fine provided it's smokeable.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have a 37 year-old tin of that blend that I found in my parents basement. It was fresh as new and the years definitely improved it's character. Very smooth when compared to new tins. Enjoy it.

BTW, the price on my tin was $1.49 in 1976.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Sounds like you got a fantastic deal, congrats. I only buy aged tobacco if the price is reasonable. The last aged tins I bought were 2008 Escudo for 15 a tin and 2002 100 gram Solani 633 for 17 a tin. The price on the Solani was cheaper than fresh, I am not sure the guy who sold it to me realized they were 100 gram ones. When I got them I was shocked because I was expecting the 50 gram tins. Some people don't mind paying 50-100 for an aged tin, I am not one of those, but understand the thinking behind it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, when I saw they were 100 gram tins I thought holy crap, this tobacco is going to be dried out and worthless. When I opened the tins, I found the tobacco was wrapped in a gold cellophane type material and when I opened them, everyone was as moist as could be. In fact they were much moister than my new 50 gram tins. I don't know when they stopped using this packaging because I recently bought some new 100 gram 633's and they have the same crap packaging as the Silver Flake. Like you I jar Silver Flake upon arrival.

estumpf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2013
Speaking about aged tinned tobacco, did anyone notice the "Barling Royal Hunt" Full and sealed with cutter top, four ounces, 1960's tin. It was on Ebay. Pipe Stud was selling it. It went for $237.83! Please share your thoughts on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.