PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
My first estate lot was a set of six pipes. Two of these were beyond repair. The bowls were beat up and the stems were chewed shut.
I didn't bother with them and tossed them out. The lot only cost $30 and I was primarily after one of the pipes, the rack and jar, and the art deco pipe ash tray. I ended up saving two pipes from the six in a drawer because I had no interest in them. One was a brylon Medico that after many attempts to smoke was just not worth the effort. Brylon sucks. The other was a red Venturi dublin.
I had no interest in this pipe. I thought it was ugly, the finish was a bit beat up and the stem was so loose that it would fall out. It went ignored until today.
venturi.jpg

I bought a dremel a month ago and have yet to use it. Originally bought for use in making Halloween masks (Jason hockey masks to be exact, which I have sold some since beginning my "business") I decided to use it for stripping the nasty red lacquered paint off the Venturi since I was bored on my day off.
So how did I solve the loose stem? Well, with a bit of "ingenuity" I lashed the two pieces of the pipe together. This is the result. I doubt I'll use this pipe much, but for now it can have a home on my rack and not in the drawer.
image1-600x448.jpg

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Quite so, trailboss.
I have seen my fair share of danger and dubious situations. Why, it was the other day. I was to go to the office when a van full of ninja pirates ambushed my vehicle. I had a mouthful of Italian briar and English tobacco smoke when the lot of them overtook my vehicle. The van skidded to a halt and the pirate ninjas poured out of the van.
There I was, faced with 47 ninjas dressed as pirates, only ten minutes to get to work and finish my pipe. All hope was lost it would seem. But alas! I gave them the old heave-ho. I utilized my superior ninja skills learned while backpacking in the Wu Tang Valley. From all sides they attacked at once and each fell to my fists and feet. Furious rage! I fell them one by one in quick work. I cleaned them up so quick that I was just ashing my pipe before walking in five minutes early.
It was quite the boon, recalling my Wu Tang training. Yes, that was a dubious situation, indeed.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
The underside was a haze grey (same color as a naval ship) and I put oil on it. Went black and then I wrapped the pipe and stem together. This one could go in my emergency bag in my trunk with a pouch of Captain Black, lol.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Let's be honest here chaps, it looks bloody hideous. Take the tape off & bin it, get hold of some black nail varnish and gently apply it to the tenon. Only a thin coat is required, let it dry completely then re-assemble. If still loose apply another coat, if too tight gently sand a little off.
I have used this method many times with no issues at all.
Regards,
Jay.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
All the leftover peices of pipes that I salvage end up in a "bucket 'o parts" that has led to a couple of interesting results:

Busted the original stem on this Edwards, so I had a stem from a Hilson Fantasia that fit nicely:

photo2.jpg

And my UA wax drip had a horrible stem, so I inserted one from a former Lepeltier clay, after modifying the shank angle a bit:

Original:

df37b40e-1.jpg

Replacement Stem:

87DE33DD-4D24-487A-9AD2-833253B26BF3-3946-0000040E5BBA5F9D_zps2661398a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.