PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovediggerdan

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2017
Possum Trot, MO
A few months into this hobby, and like every other hobby of mine I'm hittin' it hard, trawling websites, reading about pipes, tobacco, etc. as well as constantly scanning eBay for assorted pipes and whatnot that I'll never afford. It made me wonder about the whole estate pipe thing:
1. What should one look for (in general) when shopping for these? Is there an accepted "kick the tires" protocol in Pipeland? Apologies if there's a sticky on this already that I missed.
2. Do the most common pipe manufacturers make replacement stems? In other words, if I beat the heck out of one, could I just go buy a new one for my make/model? Which leads to:
3. Like cars, does anyone sell pipes for parts? I mean I know there's only a couple of parts involved here, but...
As always, appreciate your insight, folks- thanks!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
1. Buy from established retailers.

2. Make sure the drilling is precisely done.

2. Make sure the chamber has not been compromised; make sure of same for the stem.

4. Make sure you like the pipe because you probably won't get what you paid for it if sold.

azpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2015
Not that I want any more competition, but theres a few trusted sellers on ebay I use for estates
http://stores.ebay.com/Great-Estate-Pipes?_rdc=1

http://stores.ebay.com/PIPESTUDS-CONSIGNMENT-PIPE-SHOP?_rdc=1

http://stores.ebay.com/treasurepipes?_rdc=1
Also, on the left you'll see the site sponsors. A lot of them all have good estates as well
If I'm looking in person, I'll always check the drilling....
I've never seen official replacement stems from factories like Savinelli or Peterson, but there are places that will make them for you

http://www.briarville.com/
I just sent them a pipe to have a stem either repaired or replaced if its fubar
As far as "parts" go, check out http://vermontfreehand.com/pipe-making-supplies/

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
saltedplug's list of 4 are a good start.
Add, don't be afraid to ask questions about a pipe.
Make sure the seller ( be it E-Bay or an online dealer ) has an acceptable return policy.
While on occasion some pipe parts might fit a similar shaped pipe, each is an individual. Most hand made pipes do not have interchangeable stems.
Peterson System ( metal collared ) pipes and silver spigots, in many cases, stems from one pipe will fit another.
Have a budget prior to looking.
Contact a retailer that will work with you, and that you feel comfortable working with. One that will not just take your money for a sale, but will help you create a collection ( no matter how small or large ) that will make you happy.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
+1
There are some very good dealers in estate pipes, like briarblues.com, pulverspriorbriar.com and smokingpipes.com. eBay is not for the inexperienced. With one of these dealers you're getting a clean reconditioned pipe and someone who will stand behind the pipe that they sell. With eBay you may get a clean pipe, or you may get a mess and if you aren't experienced you could become eBay roadkill. I always recommend that you follow auctions and sellers for a few months, to get a sense of the market, before diving in.
As for protocols, you smoke it, you bought it. But if the pipe develops a serious flaw almost immediately, the seller might, and I repeat, might be willing to take it back. They are under no obligation to do so if you have smoked the pipe.
With estates, it's not likely that you will be able to replace a stem from the original manufacturer, but there are good repair services that can make you a proper replacement stem. We have several talented restorers right here on this forum.
Every time I've seen pipes sold for parts, the pipes have been real basket cases.

groovediggerdan

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2017
Possum Trot, MO
Thanks for the feedback thus far, I've added lots of new bookmarks!
My interest in the eBay stuff more than anything is in regards to those pipes that are as-is and in need of restoration; not because I'm a "flipper", but because I like to dink around (the technical term for it) with things in the workshop and would like to take a crack at restoring a pipe.
-GDD

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Hi, I do a lot of "Dinking". So far in my experiane, Ebay is not a bad place to get some cheap estate pipes for "dinking" on as long as you do your due diligence. Research the pipes on pipedia, carefully look at the pictures and descriptions. Check out the feedback on the seller, ask for more pictures if you have any questions. I have found sellers on ebay that I buy from regularly for $12-18 including shipping and they have almost been all solid pipes. And the few that had issues they immediately took care of them. If you luck into a lot of pipes they can even be cheaper. That's not to say there are not less the great sellers on ebay. But if you do your research it can be a good place to get pipes. Also you can check your local antique stores, I have found some surprising finds there.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've never seen official replacement stems from factories like Savinelli or Peterson, but there are places that will make them for you
Laudasi Distribution Group offers Savinelli replacement stems.
https://www.laudisi.com/faq.cfm

wasnsfisher

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2017
Fleamarkets and yardsales work best for me. E-Bay now: not too much experience but the best u can do is to buy from a reputable seller only, no matter the temptation.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When dealing with ebay sellers I always make sure I never do business with someone who will not take a return. People who don't take returns in my opinion are trying to get away with something hence I stay away.

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
I like most of what I'm reading above. But rather than suggesting "avoid eBay sellers who don't allow for returns", I would disagree, and suggest that we make it more of a learning exercise rather than turning away from the tons of great sellers out there...many of whom do not accept returns. It was also said above...eBay buying is NOT for the inexperienced...and I fully agree with that. But I suggest you don't avoid it; rather, learn it...because there are tons of good pipes for great prices everyday on eBay, offered with a no-return policy. Can you get burned? Yes, but it'll be because you didn't do your homework and know what you're buying before you grabbed the deal. But you should also know...if you buy a pipe which is not in keeping with what the description and images said it was...you ARE going to get a refund when you request it...because eBay is very much about protecting the buyer, not the seller. I've been an ebayer for 17 years, have bought and sold literally thousands of pipes, and I'm sure I could teach a class on how to safely navigate the eBay world. After all of these years, I can tell you it's the seller who has more to be concerned about, not the buyer. HAVING SAID THAT...if you're a buyer who doesn't read the description, look closely at images, and you don't ask the seller any questions...you may end up unhappy. Learn to navigate ebay...and a ton more opportunities open up for getting great pipes for good prices. I've been taken care of many times when I'm the buyer...conversely, I've had many goofy customers who don't read, don't look, don't ask...and then claim 'foul'. And yes...it's your right to completely avoid ebay...or at least sellers who state 'no refunds'...but I've read that same type of comment so often here on PM that I thought some balance was appropriate. Bring on the flames!!! 8)

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
When I trim my collection by selling some of my pipes as estates on eBay, I always tried to ensure the buyers were happy with the purchase and I am willing to take returns as long as the item is in original condition.
However, it is not the case of selling vintage sealed Tobaccos - I am not going to take back the tin tobacco once the seal has been broken and the tobacco tampered by someone's fingers and its scent tasted at least by someone's nose sniffing nearby; this is the same for vintage wine, or vintage whiskey. However, there is no way for the seller not to take returns as long as the item is paid via PayPal even explicitly stated, and PayPal and eBay are both very unfair towards the sellers - sellers will by default lose an appeal unless the seller is backed by a lawyer. I as a seller was abused by some barbaric buyers from a far-east country last year.
Therefore, as a buyer, paying via PayPal is the safest choice for you (and both eBay and PayPal are biased for the buyers in their decisions by default) - as long as you appeal within the buyer protection period (100 days). But if you are going to sell anything in the further, PayPal is in fact a real bad choice and sellers always run risk of being scammed, to the extreme, which happened to quite a few sellers in reported cases, the buyers literally returned rocks and unrelated items instead of the merchandise and also received their money back. PayPal will just say they know nothing apart from things available online, e.g. tracking numbers.

[Of course, if the seller is a few hours of driving away from such a buyer, the seller can try to visit and confront the buyer face to face although legally it helps nothing, but at least these buyers will get deterred; sellers cannot do this when the buyers are from another country far far away.]

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
I as a seller was abused by some barbaric buyers from a far-east country last year.
Menuhin...I hate hearing this. :cry:
I do accept Paypal, which does provide massive protection for the buyer. But I do my best to protect myself by providing lots of BIG images, lots of description, specs, and every detail to help the buyer make an informed decision. I also communicate with buyer inquiries very quickly...and I can tell you that my selling experiences have gotten only better and better. And I've got a lot of return customers. :)
Also...I'd say you'll never be protected when offering sealed tins...because tobacco is prohibited on eBay. They won't stand with you, even when you get that tin of sand back...because of what you were selling. Sorry man.
Hey GrooveDigger...SORRY to get off on the eBay tangent! I might could fix you up with some beater pipes to tinker around with if you PM me.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
And yes...it's your right to completely avoid ebay...or at least sellers who state 'no refunds'...but I've read that same type of comment so often here on PM that I thought some balance was appropriate. Bring on the flames!!! 8)
I won't be bringing any flames, but I will share why I don't buy from "no return" auctions. It's simply this. The buyer has no opportunity to actually hold the item in hand and to examine it other than through the images and the description provided. Even if you ask questions or request more images, as I do, it's not the equivalent of an in person physical examination. A pipe may look great on the outside and have cracks in the chamber walls, and as many of the sellers are not professionals they don't know what a flaw is. It's not a matter of dishonesty so much as ignorance. For that reason I don't bid on "no return" listings. YMMV.

groovediggerdan

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2017
Possum Trot, MO
Hey GrooveDigger...SORRY to get off on the eBay tangent! I might could fix you up with some beater pipes to tinker around with if you PM me.
No worries, I'm a former eBay seller and know all about returns and how eBay tends to favor the buyer (that's not necessarily a bad thing!). I sold records (and buy them still), so you wanna talk about a collectible with a lot of finicky buyers.....hoo-boy!
I'm currently eye-balling the crummiest pipe in my 4 pipe roster right now and I think I'll volunteer him for my "training dummy". Once I get comfy with what I'm doing I might take you up on those beaters!
-Dan

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I once was looking at a pipe and I asked the seller if it the chamber had been over reamed. He answered by asking what the chamber was and what over reaming meant. I passed on the pipe obviously as I don't need headaches when I buy on ebay.
You say as the buyer I have total recourse when I use paypal, that is fine but why would I want to even have to go that route when it is just much easier to not deal with sellers who don't take returns?
Is there a way for a seller to not allow people who don't have say 50 transactions with 100% satisfaction from bidding on your sales?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My few pipes sold on Ebay are listed as "no returns". I'm confident in the product, or I wouldn't list it. Unfortunately, there are millions (well, a lot) of wack-job buyers, who buy drunk, don't pay, etc. Why should I take a hit on a pipe that I know has zero issues because they bought it, then remember that they forgot to pay their phone bill, their wife got made at them, etc. I don't make much on pipes sold on ebay, it's just not worth it to have to take a return from a wack-job buyer.
IF something is wrong with any ebay product (pipe or car lug nut), you can force them to take it back anyway. So "no return" has very little actual meaning.
Many of the return buyers purchase my Ebay pipes, so I guess they've learned to trust me no matter the listing.

Status
Not open for further replies.