PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiefbroom

Lurker
Mar 21, 2014
I picked up this estate Barling on eBay last month. My understanding is that the UK patent number (REG'D 754 068) stamped on the underside of the stem indicates the pipe was made in 1935-49. It's a fairly small pipe (EL), which suits me.
P2161664c_zps2216036c.jpg

P2161665c_zps6279bb1a.jpg

P2161666c1_zps9ae2ba97.jpg

P2161666c2_zps48fa2b0e.jpg

The seller was the daughter-in-law of the pipe's original owner, who died in the mid-70s. I asked if she knew of any stories the pipe might have to tell. She replied that the man who smoked it was a WWII combat veteran. I speculated that he probably bought the pipe in England during or on his way home from the war, and said I'd be pleased to know whatever else about the man she might be willing to share. She graciously responded with the following info and photos:
He served in the US Army in WWII and was stationed over in Europe. His notes tell tales of Normandy, France, Belgium, Germany...and many items were brought back from these areas. I believe he was an officer, a Lieutenant, but have not substantiated that.
I am searching for his military records now, but did discover a diary he started when he left for the war. Here are just a few interesting entries....
Nov 19,1943: Left Camp Gruber in OK by Troop Train

Dec 1, 1943 Boarded ship around 0200: Queen Mary

Dec 9, 1943: Entered the Firth of Clyde, Scotland

Dec 10, 1943: Traveled to post 3 miles from Taunton, England

July 16, 1944: Saw a German plane shot down early this evening

July 17, 1944: Flak fell thru the pup tent next to mine.

Aug 24, 1944 Paris (Pasis) has been taken by the French. Patton keeps moving on S & E of Paris. The stockades are full of prisoners. We are preparing for a move. My body is covered by whelts from bites from little red spiders.

Oct 287, 1945: Alerted for movement from camp to the port LeHauve on 28 Oct. Our ship will be the "Aiken" a victory ship.

Nov 6, 1945: A hurricane last night, seas rough, i took a hard fall.

Nov 7, Pier 17 Staten Island

Nov 11, 1945: Separated at 1100 hours - bus to Harrisburg, PA to meet wife and new son born while away.

original-owner-2_zps816e473a.jpg

Original-owner_zpsf30f7286.jpg

I decided take a shot at reconditioning the pipe myself, gently, as I didn't want to want to diminish its character. Started out with spit on Q-tips and cloth. Used a flat-ground pocket knife to lightly scrape some areas that I knew were built-up char. Cotton and elbow-grease weren't cutting it, so I tried something like emery cloth (not sure what it's called) with an extremely soft touch. 
The chamber turned out to look completely sound. I'm pretty sure it had been reamed, more or less, once upon a time. There are no gouges, but shallow scrape marks are visible around the bottom that aren't from the tool I used. (Or at least I didn't think I contacted the bottom of the chamber. Probably did though.) In all respects, I'm very pleased with the pipe. It smokes just fine.
P2161668c_zpsed553001.jpg

P2161671c_zpsacdbfb36.jpg

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
What a great piece of history. The gentleman who served (my grandfather included)during WWII are slowly passing away. I really don't know the effect of their demise will have long term, or on future generations not knowing them, but the ones who knew them, know we as a country were better off when they were alive. We will be missing something for sure.
My grandfather passed in 2005 at 86. Served army infantry in Europe(Battle of the Bulge/Battle of St. Lo). It was a honor to know him.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I really appreciate this kind of story. I know this pipe will always have a value for you beyond just smoking it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thanks for sharing this. It's really neat to know something about the owner of the pipe that you bought. Looks like you did an excellent job of clean up. That shape is one of my favorites and I own it in several sizes. It always delivers a superior smoke with whatever I put in it.
When war was declared all my uncles and my father signed up. Uncle Max was a tank commander attached to Patton. Uncle Caswell and Uncle Lee both joined the navy and served under fire in the Pacific. My father was turned down for service because his work as an aeronautic engineer (B-17, B-19, lots of other B's, F's, etc.) was considered essential to the war effort. So, he did what he could at home.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Wow! What a cool history and the fact that you are now smoking that brave mans pipe is something not to be taken lightly. Congrats on that acquisition.

chiefbroom

Lurker
Mar 21, 2014
What a cool history and the fact that you are now smoking that brave mans pipe is something not to be taken lightly.
Quite right. Just respectfully enjoyed a bowl of McClelland's Old Dog in it.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
very cool! I have one barling and it is one of my favorite pipes. Great find and I hope it smokes great for you!

chiefbroom

Lurker
Mar 21, 2014
very cool! I have one barling and it is one of my favorite pipes. Great find and I hope it smokes great for you!
Thanks. I'm not sure I'd ever heard of Barlings. I just picked one out (post-Transition) from among some estate pipes that a local store had on hand. I liked it, looked to see what I could find out about them, and got sucked in. I got lucky and picked up a very nice '53 Dunhill (birth year) on eBay at one of those fluke times when no one seemed to be paying attention. But other than that, I decided to focus exclusively on Barlings, not because I think there's nothing as good or better. It just simplifies things for me.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Thanks for taking the time that went into posting this thread. Posts like this one keep me coming back for the great reading I find here!

chiefbroom

Lurker
Mar 21, 2014
Thanks for all the great replies.
I know my grandfather smoked a pipe during the Battle of Iwo Jima.
Just imagine that.
I wish we knew all of their stories.
I usually ask for stories if there's an opportunity. Sometimes it turns out to be like peeling an onion. You learn just a little that provides an opportunity to ask for some more. Once in a while, you connect with someone who appreciates being asked and is pleased to preserve the history.
What's was special in this case is that the seller might not have dug into this herself if I hadn't asked. She met the pipe-owner's son (her second husband) 20 years after his father died, so she'd heard about but never met the father. The son/husband has now passed on also, and the time finally came to sell left-over belongings that had been in storage for 40 years. It took over a week for me to hear back from the daughter-in-law, but in part that was because once she got started looking for information, the task became personal to her.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
What a fantastic pipe and back-story. I love learning about a vintage pipe, but don't have any with that level of back-story detail. The pipe is really wonderful, I thought that rim build-up would come off nicely. You were fortunate to fine one with he stem stamping mostly intact - don't take any emory cloth to that area!

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Wow, wouldn't it be great if all estate pipes had a history of their previous owners.

Too bad so much history will never be known.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
This wonderful story has given me a new appreciation for the estate pipes. Restoring and smoking an old timer’s pipe seems to be a great way of honoring him and a way to live part of the pipes history.
Fantastic job on the cleanup, enough to make any man proud!
Dot

Status
Not open for further replies.