Handmade

in Denmark

A

DETAILS:

Diameter: 1.37"

Length: 6.29"

Depth: 1.57"

Weight: 2.12 oz.
This is my 2nd S. Bang (both from Copenhaven, a 'C' not a 'K')I've purchased on the estate market. The first was at this last Chicago show from Great Estate Pipes. As anyone knows who has ever purchased from Chase, he is a master restorer. At that time I purchased the estate Bang (which is a 9mm filter pipe) and a Rainer Barbi. Both beauties, really.
The question I have been asked is: "Are they worth it?", meaning, of course, the money spent.
I had a hard time answering. For the last couple of years, I have been trying to purchase the artisan end spectrum of pipes including Rad Davis, Jerry Crawford, Scott Thile, (slowing selling my Dunhills') J & J Pipes, Michael Parks, Ewe Jopp etc etc. Not the highest end in the world, but high for me.
Other than Micahel Parks, the S. Bangs are the most expensive estate pipes I have purchased, at least so far.
I'm going to say that if budget is a concern (and when is it not?) dollar for dollar Rad Davis is, in my opinion, the best value for the money out there. His fit and finish and general smoke-ability in just about every pipe that he has made is simply a great deal. As we know, he is no longer making new pipes, so his values on the estate market may begin to climb.
Taking nothing away from any of the other folks that I've purchased from, there is something to say about my Bang pipes. I could not say that they smoke that much differently than any of my others. It's something else: the fit and finish, including the 'feel' of the stem entering the mortise; the way the pipe fits in the hand, the 'je ne sais quois' overall.
Some may say that I'm trying to justify my purchases, and there may be some truth to that. Truthfully, if I were blindfolded and smoked each one, I probably wouldn't be able to tell. But I think I may feel the difference in the shape and fit.
Edit: Picture links fixed - Alan: Using Photobucket, from the right side "Share Links"> just copy and paste IMG the URL into the thread. DON'T use the IMG function box on the thread reply box. (use that for other internet pictures) Photobucket adds the code to insert directly into forum threads.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Collectible pipes have kind of a different value system. Does a $1000 artisan pipe smoke better than a $300 artisan pipe? Guys getting that kind of money for a pipe should have a handle on what makes a pipe smoke well. So when you get into higher dollar values you are paying for aesthetics and name recognition. You're buying usable art.

I guess then the measure of worth shifts to another question:
If I sell this pipe, will I make a profit, break even or lose money?
I'd think that if you bought it new or unused and smoked it awhile and sold it, you'd lose some money. But maybe the pleasure of smoking it would be worth losing a little. Maybe if you kept it long enough, it would appreciate despite being smoked.
I can't play in that league. My price cap for a new artisan made pipe is around $300. At that price I feel like I'm getting what I pay for and the artist can afford to keep making pipes.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
If you can afford it then it's probably worth it...to you. Others will have differing opinions. It sounds like you really like the S. Bang and enjoy both owning it and smoking it. If it brings you happiness then it's worth it.
Will it be a good investment? That is a harder question to answer? I'm thinking if pipe smoking increases in the future then your pipe will probably increase in value, if pipes fall out of favor then the value may be harmed. Having said that pipes by S. Bang may be so prized for their artistic value that they improve in price even if the general pipe resale market is down.
Enjoy it either way!

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
Try losing the ''> in those image markup lines, might do the trick.

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
Thanks wyfbane - she is, generally, awesome... we're very lucky...
@allan - I now realize you can't edit posts after a time, so...oh well... maybe next time!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
There seems to be 3 choices on photobucket and I'm never sure which one to press.
Value for resale was not what I was aiming for, although in my history I never seem to 'win' in selling any pipe on the estate market other than getting rid of a pipe I no longer want.
I was trying to address the endless debate on $ versus quality and at what point does the point of diminishing returns take over.
Obviously, for different folk with different budgets that line may vary.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
For future reference!
To get photos to load quickly and show in the post, you first have to upload the photo to this site.

1.) Login

2.) Go to My Account (may have hit Home button first) and down to Album

3.) Choose Upload Picture (navigate to photo you've given a sensible name to), be sure to then hit Upload.

4.) Go back to Album, click on thumbnail to open full size image. Right click (Windows); Control Click (Mac) and copy the URL, then paste same in desired thread, using the IMG tag in the compose window.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That a beauty! I've had the opportunity to hold and examine some S. Bang's at the Philly club meeting (one member only smokes them). A luxury purchase for sure, but they are gorgeous. I've never found the right shape, but perhaps one day the stars will align (my budget meets the right shape).
On the pix, see my notes above. Photobucket "IMG" link adds the code you need to insert directly into a thread. Use the thread box "IMG" function for Ebay or other web pix NOT hosted at a photo upload site.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
It's a piece of wood with a couple of holes poked through and a bit of rubber. No. It's not worth it. Unless you see it as more than just the sum of it's parts.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Like jpm', I thought I was going to see a price to compare with the photo of the pipe. This is more a philosophical question. My only comment is, if you can easily afford pipes in higher price ranges -- $200 to some, $8,000 to others with stops in between and an elevator to the penthouse -- I'd say it's an admirable collection. People who intend to turn a profit are probably wise not to smoke the investment properties ever, but to simply buy them, hold them, flip them, in the most skillful ways they can to turn a profit. That's a separate interest and venture. I'm just into moderate pipe smoking, pipes at various price levels, not too exalted (prices) and some downright negligible.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I have a couple and think they are consistently the best of the sub thousand dollar estates to be had. They're always beautiful, stunning grain, balanced, and eminently smokable. Always brilliant. Worth the cash? Is anything?

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Gentlemen
Thanks for your responses. I do not collect pipes for resale, or to have a 'collection'. I buy them to smoke, plain and simple. As time goes on I'm selling those that no longer meet my standards since in least in the case of PAD, I'm looking for quality, not quantity.
I had mentioned in my original post my opinion on one of the best values out there, Rad Davis (I'm sure there are many others) where for the dollar spent I believe one can get an excellent smoke, excellent engineering, fantastic button and good fit and finish. I guess I looking for that pie in the sky, the ultimate pipe that will bring me to nirvana...
I agree with MSO and Disinfo that if one can afford it, what is the difference? And, of course Iamn8:
I have a couple and think they are consistently the best of the sub thousand dollar estates to be had. They're always beautiful, stunning grain, balanced, and eminently smokable. Always brilliant. Worth the cash? Is anything?
After all, you can't take it with you, right?
LOL

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Al, I read your post yesterday but somehow missed the part about your associate who ONLY smokes S. Bang pipes! Now that is a healthy disposable income!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.