PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indyraider

Lurker
Sep 12, 2013
I am fairly new to pipe smoking, and have started to hear people talk about Esoterica Penzance. I know that supply is scarce, but I was curious as to whether anyone knows where I could buy some of this? I have heard so many good things and just want to see what all the commotion is about.
Thanks,
indyraider

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Turn hobbiedog upside-down and shake him a few times, enough Penzance should fall out to fill your pipes for a few years.
If that doesn't work, then go to PipesandCigars.com and get some Hearth & Home Black House, it is very similar to Penzance, the only real difference is it is not in flake form, so it has different burning qualities to it. Now I will add some Penzance samples to some trades when I have a good stock of it, but that isn't always the case; a good stock for me is like 2oz, not pounds like many pipers here.

indyraider

Lurker
Sep 12, 2013
Thanks, guys. I know it is a tough one to get your hands on. Who is hobbiedog? I guess I will search the site for him!
indyraider

indyraider

Lurker
Sep 12, 2013
Funny thing is that Hearth & Home Black House is also out of stock now. I guess pipe smoking is getting way too popular! Either that or production needs a boost!
indyraider

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
Any tobac by Esoterica is hard to find, not just Penzance. Virginia smokers hoard their blends, and for good reason. Dorchester and Dunbar are two examples. Good luck in your hunt.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Let me say this about Penzance..If you love that smokey Latakia taste as I do it's a wonderful blend.It's a pretty heavy blend though.Probably not for those who aren't true Latakia smokers..Now that's what I have to say except that it's my favorite blend in the whole wide world.

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
I like Penzance and will buy it at my local B&M if the stars are aligned, but that doesn't happen a lot.
My substitute is GLP Quiet Nights. It's not a duplicate of Penzance (and has its own excellent qualities), but it's a similar blend, to my taste, anyway, and it's readily available in the U.S.
YMMV, of course.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Harris, do you call stores that don't have a website? And are these stores that regularly do mail order, though?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I agree with the other fellas about Penzance and Black House. They do not taste alike. I like them both, but there are many differences between the two.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Hobie1dog to the rescue :mrgreen: Since you are new, I'll start this all over again, and welcome to the forum. Penzance has limited distribution, we cannot change that. What you can do is write down every online and local retailers that anyone mentions, and get their phone number, and go down your list and call everyone of them every week to find out what their inventory is, whether or not the carry it, stock it monthly, and also to put you on a call list when they get it in. If you do not put in the required effort, you will not get any results. I have lots of Penzance, only because I did the above mentioned work involved. I think there are 16 shops on my list that I use to call weekly to find my stockpile of Penzance. It is my go-to all-time favorite pipe tobacco, and I was thrilled the first time I tried it and went HOLY CRAP, this is my flavor orgasm, this is the unique blend that defines pipe tobacco for me.
As far as substitutes, I also recommend GL Pease "Quiet Nights", but once again it's only a similar flavor, not the real McCoy.
Remember, you must put in effort to find out who has it in stock...this week, or when they will get it in the next time. And remember to ask them if they will call you when they get it in. I got many of my 8 ounce bags that way. Let us know how you like it when you obtain some of it.
Marty

indyraider

Lurker
Sep 12, 2013
Thank you, Marty, for the wise words. I will definitely start calling. Sounds like it is worth the effort!
indyraider

thedudeabides

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Great advice above from the members. Some Penzance "alternatives" (note, I did not say "substitutes" or "clones") that have been listed on the forums include: GL Pease's Quiet Nights, Hearth and Home's Ten to Midnight, Charles Fairmorn's Lancer Slices, Brebbia Latakia Flake #9, and Smoker's Haven Krumble Kake (I hesitate to even mention that one, but rumor has it it will return to the market).
I have some Quiet Nights aging and have high hopes for this one, as many have said that it not only reminds them of Penzance but surpasses it in some respects. I know - them's fightin' words! :D
Some have mentioned Esoterica's own Margate as an alternative, but to my taste Margate is far less sweet and more Oriental forward (think Olives vs. figs), so I have a hard time believing any claims that it is the "rubbed out" form of Penzance. It is also hard to find, but easier to locate than Penzance in my experience. Some like to mix Margate with Virginias like Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake to create a sweeter, more traditional English blend. I have some of this blend aging myself and cannot yet report on the results, but it smells pretty heavenly in the jar. Margate does have some familial similarities to Penzance and is also well worth seeking out for something different, but I would not consider it to be a true alternative.
Alas, it does seem to me that Penzance is unique - likely due to the casing/topping vs. the actual tobacco varietals (there is something about the underlying fig-newton like sweetness of the smoke that must be a flavoring of some sort), but the good news is that there are many Latakia blends with enough similarity to keep us all busy.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
To be honest it's way more hype then worth. I saw it pop up and bought a bag, opened the box, wrapped the vacuumed foil in a zip lock and put it back in the box with the receipt...And into the cellar it went. It's a total investment buy, have no intention of ever opening it. A wonderful trading buddy had sent me an oz. and it's an good smoke, but there are many that are far better and easily/cheaply had. It's a plank flake which is fantastic and hits the limit of my Latakia zone, but so do many blends. Hell have a bowl of FMOT and be happy ;)
No worries it pops up a couple times a year and you'll have a chance to spend too much on it.
Craig

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
The easiest way to find Penzance is to call small mom and pop tobacconists around the country, it takes some work but it can be had.
I agree with Harris on that one! I was very fortunate in locating Penzance by making a few phone calls to areas around me. A few counties away I hit the jackpot! 8 OZ bag of Penzance (their last bag) and at regular retail price! I've still not opened the bag!

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Dang, I have a sample bag i was given at our Austin Pipe Club, just tried it. Not bad! Someone said it reminded them of campfire. It does for me as well - camping up in the mountains of New Mexico or Colorado - the aroma reminds me exactly of sitting in front of the fire; its like smoking nostalgia.

Status
Not open for further replies.