PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Escudo is my favorite tobacco to date. From the little coins and the figgy tin aroma to that lovely spicy taste I am enamoured with this blend. From what I gather it is a popular and well-respected VaPer. It is mild enough for my tastes and all natural. It impressed me much more than anything else I've ever tried. However it was my first Virginia Perique blend and my introduction to that fine Louisiana weed; perhaps I am just fond of the style, and I may enjoy other blends more. Do you gentlemen consider anything better than Escudo?

(Special thanks to Lawrence for his initial recommendation and all his blend advice)
I've got McConnell's Scottish Cake on the way. I've got my eye on Esoterica Dunbar and GLP Fillmore - any other suggestions?
I've done my homework on 4noggins Prairie Winds, as recommended by cortezattic. I may include that in a bulk order fairly soon. With regards to bulks, PS Luxury Bullseye Flake is out of stock (thanks again, Lawrence) and I like the sound of Patton's Cool Hand Fluke but I'm afraid it will be way too strong. Any additional thoughts on those blends?

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Strongirish,
I've been planning on doing that, actually. How long do you think Escudo could age well? I'm on my first tin but considering ordering several to put away for years down the road. I figure I might as well cellar what I really like before ordering new brands that will be hit or miss - especially if this is as good as VaPers get.

yachtexplorer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2010
Wherever the boat is moored
I recently picked up a bunch of tins of Excudo dated 1999 & 2000. The circular paper cover inside was all stained and the tabak had turned a very dark brown. The tin aroma was warm, earthy and sweet and the smoke is absolutely sublime. How much longer it could age and improve, I do not know but I can tell you from experience that it is at least 12 years.
This great weed has been around a very long time. I first smoked it in the late 1960s when it was called Cope's Escudo. I am not sure what year AC Petersen took over production but they have been doing a terrific job.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Duly noted, yachtexplorer- I bet those tins are wonderful now, enjoy!
I have heard nothing but good things about Escudo, and I can only agree.
Anything you guys think is better than, or on par with this blend? What's a close runner up if there was none to be found?
I'd love to hear more aging experiences, too.
Thanks a million.

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
I like Davidoff Flake Meddallions, A milder, or I like to say, smoother Va-per. In the center of the flake is a dark spot of cavendish that melds well between the va and per. You can tell that it is high quality tobacco. Easy to pack a pipe, I just bend and crush and pack er in there. The smell of the nicely presented flake or coins smells like I'm back on the farm, blowing freshly chopped Alf alfa into the silo, or even climbing up and going in. I sometimes open the tin just to smell the tobacco. It's not a lightning bolt of taste like Escudo, but my taste buds enjoy it as an all day smoke. I highly recommend it if you like vaper blends. (Does not bite) and the perique is strong enough to tickle your nose. :)

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Briar Bully,

Thank you so much for that suggestion - I have never considered Davidoff, so far it has been completely off my radar. I will read more about it and may pick some up soon. It sounds very appealing. Though I do think from my limited experience that I like a very noticeable perique taste, I'm sure I could appreciate a subtler blend. Sounds good!
Igloo,

As I said I am aware of Luxury Bullseye Flake which sounds similar to the Davidoff medallions just mentioned, with a Black Cavendish core. The Navy Flake is just straight VaPer then? I never noticed the difference between them before. (Unfortunately most Peter Stokkebye products are out of stock at my etailer, 4noggins, including both of those blends.)

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Sparroa,
I bought a dozen tins of Escudo in the mid 90's. Turns out, I didn't like it so it sat for 10 years. It has significantly mellowed and changed but turns out I didn't like it again (Try as I might, I am just not a VaPer guy yet) so I sold a bunch to a guy who said they were fantastic after a decade.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
That's good news, hauntedmyst. I'd like to put a little aside long term in case my supply channel dries up in the near future. It's hard because at the same time I am trying to order a variety of blends to sample and discover what I like. I'm definitely going to put some tobacco capable of longevity aside - it looks like Escudo is going to be my VaPer of choice.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
I haven't tried Cool Hand Fluke yet but I got a pound of Quadruple Virginia (CHF without the perique) last week and it's excellent. Cool Hand Fluke is on the list already for my next order from Rich.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Aged Escudo is a good smoke. Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls are smoother

and have more depth with a faint fruit top note, where Escudo has the

citrus note to it. Out of the Davidoff blends, Royalty is my choice.

It's a sublime Oriental blend that evaporates every time a tin gets

opened around here.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
@kcvet67,

I have Quadruple Virginia and Cool Hand Fluke. It's great fun to compare the two and discover how Perique changes things. I think both are good smokes, with the edge going to CHF (I like Perique).

BTW, I think John Patton developed these blends specifically for use in a cob.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Sparroah, I'm glad you brought this blend to light,...( :D sorry).

I'm new to Vapers, only having two in my collection, but I realy am beginning to enjoy them both, especially Anniversary Kake.
Assuming that you're talking about the only Escudo I could find; Escudo Navy Deluxe by Stokkebye,....I put it on my shopping list.

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
Thanks for the tip on Davidoff Royalty Fred, as Davidoff is a brand readily available here, I put it on my shopping list.

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
@cortezattic, I'm seriously considering 5# of the Quadruple Virginia for the cellar. The sugar levels of the blend makes it a perfect candidate for aging.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
That's the one, Tommy... Sorry for not being more exact! I hope you enjoy it.
Cortezattic, I saw your positive Cool Hand Fluke review on 4noggins. That influenced my desire to try it quite a bit. Would you describe CHF as being a strong smoke? I believe you indicated it was "substantial". Sounds close enough. I don't want an overpowering nicotine experience; for reference, Escudo doesn't affect me at all - no matter my puffing speed. Should a lightweight like myself even bother with the CHF? I don't want to order something I'm not able to smoke with enjoyment. (I understand completely if that question is too hard to pin down to answer with ease)

Status
Not open for further replies.