Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Well, seeing the other thread about a 'pimple' in a Vauen pipe's bowl, I remembered seeing something I'm not sure I liked in mine last time I cleaned it.
The bowl in question:

Vauen_Basic_Bowl.jpg

I'm wondering if I'm being too aggressive with my cleaning. The pipe originally came with a coating, remnants of which can still be seen, but is that light-coloured material the actual briar? There's something flake-like in the draught hole too, but it didn't come out very defined in that photo. Wonder if I'm killing this pipe.
Thoughts?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You have definitely removed quite a bit of carbon, and the is indeed briar. What are you cleaning it with?
20180610_011838.jpg

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Just the Czech tool's spoon to remove dottle (I never smoke it all down to the heel) and then I wrap my finger in a napkin and wipe the bowl a couple of times, or till it comes clean. A few times I have scraped a bit more with the spoon, thinking that a sliver of light-coloured stuff is an unburnt toby ribbon stuck to the bowl. I clean my pipes after every smoke, once they've cooled.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I would wipe it out with a pipe cleaner bent into a "U" for about a dozen smokes to let some carbon build up, then clean as you are now.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd also take care to smoke a dozen bowls to the bottom, to provide a bit of cake for that time in the future you can comfortably smoke the whole load.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Trust me, I've tried. But either my tongue or other conditions have prevented me from smoking a pipe all the way down. I'll try filling it only halfway.

Status
Not open for further replies.