PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I am prepping my end of the month tobacco purchase and was wondering the forums thoughts on Erinmore flake vs mixture. I have never smoked a flake tobacco; however, it was recommended that this could be a good flake to start with since I love aromatics. Please give me any thoughts you have plus or minus for each of these Erinmore blends?

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
I enjoy the flake. I prefer a mixture of burley and Virginia, which it is. And I enjoy that top note essence, whatever it is, some say apricot-ish. But it's not pineapple. I have a few tins of the Murray's era, which I haven't opened. But, I'm enjoying the current Orlik version. It can be a little bitey if you go too fast on the puffing. Suggest sipping it for maximum enjoyment. I have not had the Mixture, but understand it is not the same blend.

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Well, I tried both. And the flake definitely tastes and smokes better. But at the inconvenience of handling flakes. While the mixture is ready rubbed. Which makes things easier. But for a way milder aroma and flavour

tobaccojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2016
USA
I really enjoy the flake, but have not tried the mixture yet. I did hear that the ready rubbed was a bit more mild, as Ahmad said above, so I stick with the flake.
-Joe

docspipe

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2014
I prefer the flake over the mixture as the flake is a more fuller bodied smoke for me. The mixture does have a more pronounced room note but can become a bit ashy tasting past mid bowl.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
I prefer the flake over the mixture. I think they are totally different, I do like to mix McClellands Red Cake Virginia with Erinmore Mixture.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
The Erinmore flake of today is nothing like the original Murray's version...or so I am told. Though a nice and well balanced tobacco in itself, the mixture is quite something else being that much milder.
If you find you like the flake version you might like to try Benson & Hedge's 'Mellow Virginia' which is very similar though with a splash more flavour.
Regards,
Jay.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I love Erinmore Flake. I haven't tried many aromatics yet however Erinmore Flake is the best aromatic flake I have ever tasted. Erinmore Mixture on the other hand is a pain in the bowl for me. Erinmore Flake is highly recommended, Erinmore Mixture is not recommended (by me).

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
JVNSHR, I would hardly call Erinmore Flake an aromatic. Lightly flavoured yes but not an aro. Gawith's Ennerdale Flake and Peterson's Luxury Blend, now they are aromatics.
The difference twixt aromatic and flavoured is vast as I understand it.
Regards,
Jay.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
In Pipes & Cigars catalog they consider Erinmore Flake an aromatic. I always thought that was weird, too. Then, if that is aromatic, wouldn't Orlik Golden Slice and Peterson's University Flake also be aromatics? And anything with a light top note for that matter?

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
It is an aromatic, just admit that you enjoy an aromatic tobacco. I find some bowls of the flake I do get a pineapple taste. The mixture has black cavendish, I have a tin but haven't opened it yet, but I have 12 tins of the flake left, it's a great tobacco and there's definitely something more than a tobacco taste, therefore it's an aromatic.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Jay and Hawky,
I remember discussing this issue here once and one of the master blenders stated that Erinmore Flake is neither an aromatic, nor a non-aromatic, but a crossover (transitional) blend. And for me it is mostly on the aromatic side. If it is an aromatic, then I like aromatic blends, if it is not, then I don't like them :)

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I find some bowls of the flake I do get a pineapple taste."
Andy, that just shows you smoke with your eyes. The only pineapple in Erinmore Flake is on the tin art. To say EF is flavoured with such is pure fantasy. Plum perhaps, pineapple most certainly not.
Jvnshr, i'll settle for 'crossover'. I have nothing at all against aromatic blends, my day to day smoke is Condor and I would regard that as an aro.
Regards,
Jay.

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Another update to this.. I tried the flake and the mixture in two consecutive days and I have to say this
The flake is richer in both aroma and taste.. and it has quite accentuated fruity hints.. While the mixture is quite milder on both fronts, however, there is some earthy/cocoa flavour that I could detect in it.. which sets it apart from the flake

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Listen if I taste pineapple sometimes I taste pineapple, nobody knows what the topping is except 2 people at a time, sometimes I taste urinal cake too, I don't know where you get plum from, but if that's how you describe it I'm not going to tell you that you smoke with your eyes

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
From three of the most respected tobacco reviewers on TR.com (at least two of which are also forum members)...
When you open the tin, you will be able to tell that there is a flavoring, but Pineapple is not it, despite what you may read from some reviews above this one. That pineapple is a flavoring in this blend is a myth perpetuated by the picture of a pineapple on the lid of the tin.
I did get some plum, orange, lemon, and apricot, but the rest is guess work.
I tasted no "spoiled pineapple", which I know is just the mind playing tricks - there's no pineapple in here!

What I am saying is that as your eyes see a pineapple on the tin, your brain reminds you of that pineapple when you smoke the tobacco. I personally get more apricot than the 'plum' that many reviewers taste.
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Cosmic, i'm not saying he doesn't taste it, he evidently does, I'm simply saying his mind is playing tricks on him. I doubt he will ever see that though.
I would gag too if it tasted of pineapple, rather like my new tin of Peterson' Luxury Blend, that is truly a 'tootie fruity' blend if ever there was one. Damned nasty stuff.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.