Ennerdale flake well i like lakelands I guess.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
So I am dipping my toes into the lakeland pond so to speak. Just finished my first bowl of ennerdale flake.

so que up all the dead grandma comments. But to me its more like a earl grey tea taste. The bag scent reminded me of fruit gum which is weird but whatever. I of course bought I cob to sample this is and it has a reputation for ghosting. Over all I liked it but I don't see my self cellaring a ton of it but Will probably pick up a 250 gram box some time. Don't know what I want to try next grousemoore maybe.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
But to me its more like a earl grey tea taste.
I could see that if you forget to rinse the dish-soap out of your teacup first. Earl Gray is supposed to taste of Bergamot.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Grousemoor is the most unique tobacco I have tried. It's great stuff but I don't reach for it often. I would suggest just ordering a lot of different tobaccos from GH&Co. in one ounce bags. My favorites of the Lakeland genre are:

Dark Flake Scented (strong bergamot note that is similar to Earl Grey)

Brown Flake Scented

Best Brown #2

Coniston Cut Plug

Bosun Cut Plug

#7 Broken Flake

If you have not yet tried Condor Long Cut, I highly suggest that you do. It is a masterpiece!

Mar 1, 2014
I could see that if you forget to rinse the dish-soap out of your teacup first.
The association between "soap" flavour and Lakelands is totally fallacious, anyone who thinks it's a good analogy should actually try comparing what it's like to put dish soap in your mouth vs. smoking Ennerdale.
Floral extracts are used in cleaning supplies because it smells nice, but some of those things would nearly kill you if you put them in your mouth, obviously that doens't happen with Lakeland blends.
The only problem is that people have built negative associations to those smells because of where they are most commonly applied. Someone who actually has a flower garden would probably have a much greater appreciation of Lakeland blends.

Mar 1, 2014
Username:

So I am dipping my toes into the lakeland pond so to speak. Just finished my first bowl of ennerdale flake.

so que up all the dead grandma comments. But to me its more like a earl grey tea taste. The bag scent reminded me of fruit gum which is weird but whatever. I of course bought I cob to sample this is and it has a reputation for ghosting. Over all I liked it but I don't see my self cellaring a ton of it but Will probably pick up a 250 gram box some time. Don't know what I want to try next grousemoore maybe.
The first thing I thought of while I was smoking through some Ennerdale was gummy bears.
If you haven't tried Ennerdale out of a tin, I suggest trying that next.

It seems that the topping is generally much stronger fresh from the tin, and I can imagine it keeps better, I've found bulk samples to be a little bit lacking after some time goes by (though it may have just needed rehydration).

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
I love Ennerdale Flake! Bought 8ozs of it to try and bam found it to be awesome! Noticed yesterday that I basically have only smoked Ennerdale Flake for a week and I am not tiring of it. I detect no soap and no grandma flavor at all. To me it tastes exact how it smells. The baccy has a wonderful creamy texture that I love. Going to buy a few pounds in the next order!
For those who enjoy G&H Lakelands please provide some other to try that do not include Tonkin bean, may have spelled that wrong. I found 1792 did not appeal to me because of that bean.
OP, try Peterson's Hyde Park, it has a wonderful flower essence flavor. I think you will like it.

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
Thanks for the suggestions. I like condor long cut but prefer the plug I have 5 plugs stashed so far.1792 I didn't care for at all must be the tonque bean. Glad I have a new genre to explore.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Ennerdale is great. I love the almond/lavender/tonquin sauce that's smothered all over that stuff.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
OP, try Peterson's Hyde Park, it has a wonderful flower essence flavor. I think you will like it.

This is so frustrating to me. I bought Hyde Park based on the same recommendation and I get absolutely no Lakeland notes at all! There has to be some quality control issues here because I don't think it's supposed to have floral notes as nothing in the description points in that direction, just a Maple and Rum topping. It seems that there is a 50/50 mix of folks saying that there are floral notes and those saying there aren't. It's a good blend but the tin I have is not a Lakeland.

I like condor long cut but prefer the plug I have 5 plugs stashed so far

May I ask where you're getting the plug? Do they make it in 50 gram pouches? I've only seen it in the 25 gram pouch.

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
I believe the plug is only available in 25 grams. I got mine from a another member who unfortunately no longer offers this service do some some ass hats screwing him over. However you can order it from pipedivan.com

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The association between "soap" flavour and Lakelands is totally fallacious, anyone who thinks it's a good analogy should actually try comparing what it's like to put dish soap in your mouth vs. smoking Ennerdale.
My grandmother stuck a bar of Camay soap in my mouth for using the f-word when I was 10, and that was very close to what Hyde Park tasted like to me.
Floral extracts are used in cleaning supplies because it smells nice, but some of those things would nearly kill you if you put them in your mouth, obviously that doens't happen with Lakeland blends.
LOLOLOL yessir, the best that can be said for Lakelands. They might make you beg for death, but they won't kill you.
The only problem is that people have built negative associations to those smells because of where they are most commonly applied. Someone who actually has a flower garden would probably have a much greater appreciation of Lakeland blends.
I've been in many a flower garden but have never had any desire to taste any of the flowers. It's not the smell of Lakelands that's the most retchedly nauseating, it's the taste.

Mar 1, 2014
I've been in many a flower garden but have never had any desire to taste any of the flowers. It's not the smell of Lakelands that's the most retchedly nauseating, it's the taste.
Funny thing about that, most people who don't like Lakelands are always saying that it's the smell that bothers them, associated memories, otherwise the predominant flavour is sweet, Ennerdale is one of the sweetest blends on the market and holds its flavour longer than any "normal" Aromatic.

I will grant you that the first bowl out of a fresh tin will be overpowering with floral essences, I had to let my first bowl sit for a day before I could finish it, but that second half was unlike anything else, the sweet and fruity flavour builds as the bowl progresses and stays consistent to the end.

If you just puff on it once and say "that's horrible", then you haven't really tried the blend. If everyone treated all tobacco that way then none of us would be smoking pipes at all, everything tastes like ash when you're starting, it's almost a wholly counter-intuitive process, yet here we are.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Taste and smell are intimately related senses. Which is why things "taste different" when your nose is stuffed. Perhaps I should cellar a tin of Lakeland for the next time I get a cold ;)
I see your point about judging a blend on the first puff, but I've tried countless blends and the vast majority are at least tolerable if not pleasant at first try. In fact, I find most blends more flavorful and interesting when they're new to me. If I smoke a blend continually I get used to it and start noticing things I don't like. Only a few blends have been so horrid from the first puff there was no way I could push through even half a bowl. Hyde Park was like that. And I'm told it's on the weak side as Lakeland stench/taste goes.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
perdurabo, I noticed in your comment you detect to tonquin bean. Was that a mistype? I thought I detested tonquin bean from my try of 1792. But I detect nothing of that flavor in Ennerdale. Perhaps I have it wrong....

Status
Not open for further replies.