PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

newportpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2011
Newport Beach, CA
I ordered an 8oz. bulk bag of Ennerdale Flake based on wanting to try Lakeland Tobaccos for the first time.
What I’m anticipating:
1. It will ghost anything it touches.

2. It’s fairly strong in Vitamin N.

3. I’ll either love it or hate it.
My plan is to use a cob and if I like it, dedicate a briar to it. If I don’t like it, let it cellar and try again. If I hate it, I’ll gladly trade some or give it away.
Does anyone have any thoughts before it arrives in the mail in a few days? Do’s or dont’s? Pleasant stories? Horror stories?
Thank you in advance for any info or thoughts!

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I have some Ennerdale and other Gawith in the cellar and have given some away. I'm not a Lakeland fan. Some guys love it and will trade for something you might like. Good Luck!!

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
The general opinion is that is on the stronger end of the Lakeland scale. Kind of like slamming a shot of Everclear before having your first sip of beer.
If you find it unbearable, don't write off the whole category based on that one example. Jar it and try a lighter Lakeland, if it seems out of hand.
My first "lightly" scented caused me to recoil, but now, with some familiarity, I've gone maybe halfway up the scale.
Of course, if you like it right away, please disregard all of the above!
jay-roger.jpg

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I've smoked it only in a cob so far. Some say the ghosting issue is overrated. I kinda agree. Maybe it's those cake fans who experience it most; I don't build cakes, so I haven't noticed ANY blend ghosting my briars. Do note that my pipe senses aren't as keen as those of veteran Piperovs, so take my comment cum magno grano salis.
This is indeed one of those rare blends that have made me feel the nicotine, so I suggest not to smoke it on an empty stomach.
Personally, I like it: from the tin note to the flavour. I like soapy scents: they smell clean.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Just imagine getting kicked in the dick by a woman wearing a bottle of perfume. But, in a good way....
I can't say as I've had the experience but even with my vivid imagination, I can't imagine that happening in a good way.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
After the Lakeland essence fades the full, robust underlying leaf can be detected. Kind of the tobacco equivalent of a cross-dressing Navy SEAL, what’s on the outside doesn’t match the inside.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
It will ghost a pipe.
You may love it or hate it - but give it a couple of chances because Lakelands can sneak up on you and you may discover you like them after all.
I prefer to dry the flakes a bit prior to smoking them - usually broken or lightly rubbed out. YMMV.
The Lakeland essence is strongest upon lighting and fades somewhat as you go; expect the tobacco itself to play a stronger role as you progress. It is sublime.
You may want to dedicate a briar to it if you do like it. It really shines in a good briar, IMHO.
Enjoy.

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
I believe the primary tobacco is Virginia. I have never found it very high in nicotine but that may be different for you. Because of the Virginia it ages very nicely. If your bag is fresh, the tobacco can be wet and the flavors may not have settled down. As recommended above, if you don't like it initially, jar it up and let it sit for a while. It just gets better with age.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I started with a cob and switched to a briar. That briar is now dedicated to Ennerdale and Bob's Chocolate Flake.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
8 oz bag? never had it? i recommend staying away from website with content relating to timeshares and russian brides. :D

upnorth1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2017
La Belle Province, Canada
Give it a chance and you may like it. Personally I loved it from the get go. I smoke it in whatever pipe calls to me at the moment. Ghosting is overrated in my opinion. I smoke a fair amount of stronger tobaccos and any ghost would be promptly exorcized within a few bowls. BTW if you like Ennerdale the ghosting isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
8 oz bag? never had it?
As infrequently as it pops up, I say good call. My first go with it was a full pound.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/bought-a-pound-of-ennerdale-what-to-expect

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
Love me some Ennerdale.
Love me some Ennerdale even more when mixed about 70/30 with MacBaren Navy Flake.
The Navy Flake compliments the flavour of Ennerdale by sweetening and deepening the floral/Lakeland taste.
It's magic to my palate, but YMMV. :puffy:

• Wow
Reactions: tzinc

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I just got lucky and got 8 oz bags of Grasmere Flake, Dark Flake Scented and Brown Flake Unscented at SP, also 4 oz of Rich Dark Honeydew.
Gonna be STANKIN' up in here pretty soon... :mrgreen:
jay-roger.jpg

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
Pipe smoking as you know it will never be the same, Jaytex. You got some dank stank blends, for sure. Enjoy.
Heaven knows I love 'em. :D

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I'm looking forward to it.
I've been into Dark Flake Unscented and Coniston for a few months now and excited to branch out some.
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.