PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Great Googley Moogley does this stuff stink!!!!
I had heard it was one of the stronger examples of the infamous "lakeland essence." I had to know, I just had to, dumb curious brain, so I bought a couple ounces in bulk along with a few oz of happy bogie and rum roll twist from the same supplier. They were packaged in the same box, but in seperate bags of course, and even the bags of rope now smell like those perfume ads in the ladies magazines at the dentists office!!!!
I don't think I'd be able to hide this stuff from my mother in the sock drawer! The good news is, after I smoke it, I may just stop cussing.
Now, to decide which poor cob is going to get sacrificed to these flakes of gas station incense. And to work up the nerve to fire it up.........

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
I once opened a tin of Ennerdale with five years of age on it. The scent was reduced to a faint aroma and the sugars in the Virginia had crystallized. It was sublime. Fresh, wet, Ennerdale can smell up a room, steam your tongue, and ghost your pipe. I still love the stuff aged or fresh. I hope you enjoy it.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I love every G&H tobacco I’ve tried, including ones that are famously floral, but I still cannot bring myself to like Ennerdale. I keep trying, though! Don’t let this one put you off any other Lakeland’s, even though they all get grouped together. The tastes in the other tobaccos are in a same family, but not very alike at all, in my opinion.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Good to see some reliable palates that enjoy it. Thats encouraging. I liked grousemoor, particularly its tin note. But when it comes to that lakeland essence aroma, if grousemoor is like a nice caress, ennerdale is like getting kicked in the gooch. I am excited to smoke it and see what its like, honestly. It is certainly intense and unique out of the tin. If it doesn’t work out I can always put it in a little dish on the back of the toilet.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I have, and recommend, a dedicated pipe for this
There is no doubt that this will be happening. It is going in an old cob first. If I like the stuff enough to have a lakeland dedicated briar, then I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Reactions: B.Fee
Mar 1, 2014
Ennerdale is one of my favourite blends, you can get more sweetness that lasts longer through the bowl than any other aromatic.
With a fresh tin the scent will be overbearing at first so you need to let it air out for a bit, this is probably the best way to experience Ennerdale.

Bought in bulk it tends to be less saturated, if I ever buy any more it’ll just be tins.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
If you enjoy the taste of urinal cakes you’ll love Ennerdale.
Lakeland blends are the devil in my eyes. Don’t understand how some people enjoy them. Just glad for those who do, cause that’s less people to battle with in stocking up on the Virginia and VaPer blends.

Reactions: Johnny_Pipecleaner

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Just glad for those who do, cause that’s less people to battle with in stocking up on the Virginia and VaPer blends.
Bad assumption there. Lakeland fans tend to be Virginia smokers.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
The 'essence' fades a bit after a year or so of cellaring. It you find it overpowering now come back to it after a bit. It is made of fine leaf.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I love Ennerdale and Bob's Chocolate Flake. I don't smoke them often since I only have two tins of each.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I hope it's not bad form to resurrect an old thread, but I just had my first Ennerdale experience this week so I rather enjoyed reading through.

I snagged a fresh 50g tin off the web based on my fondness for Grousemoor, not realizing what I was in for with an actual Lakeland blend like Ennerdale. Upon opening the young/fresh tin screamed 100% urinal cake straight into my nose. I immediately decided I dasn't, and then tucked it away in a tightly sealed mason jar.

The very next day however, I found myself wanting (needing?) to smoke some. It receives such high marks that I had to indulge to satisfy my curiousity. I rubbed some out and gave it 10-15 minutes (not nearly enough) of drying time, found my ugliest briar, and loaded 'er up.

The first half of the bowl was unmistakably Lakeland, though the heavily floral scent was surprisingly pleasant--especially here in Oakland, CA where it's full on Spring weather, super green with buds bursting and bees buzzing.

The second half of the bowl was just good ol' fashion Gawith virginia, with very little Lakeland essence detected. I definitely enjoy the stuff and appreciate the change of pace in my rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.