PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
This was my second Lakeland and my first flake. I found the flavor to be very heavy and floral, my mind kept going to the tonic my barber uses after a nice shave around the ears and neck. This isn't a bad thing, though it was unusual. The second half of the bowl the flavor settled down a little and read more like a nice rum fruit cake, though if you don't like fruit cake it's a bust. I can only think that the sweetness at this point is the tobaccos but I am not sure as this never really reveled the underlining tobacco. Even the after taste isn't tobacco but rather a ghost of sorts left on my pallet. This certainly belongs in the unique catagory. I'm not sure that I'll return to this one often. As for being my first flake I rubbed it out completely and let it dry about ten min. It was intersting to me that the top of char layer (if that's what you call it) seemed to be much more solid and heavy than other blends that I've smoked. Packing was quite easy and once lit it stayed so. I did brew a cup of coffee half way through the bowl. This helped give my pallet a rest from time to time from the heavy flavor. My wife popped her head out and commented on the perfume note of the smoke and even took a taste herself to which she said precisely, "huh, intersting." She isn't a smoker but sometimes like to have a quick try. This isn't a blend to be taken lightly but it's also not one to be afraid of. I think when I explore this one again I'll have to take notes to see what else develops.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
Ennerdale, while not my favorite Lakeland blend, is still mighty tasty and enjoyable. Soapy? Yup. Grandma's undies drawer? No doubt about it. And I was afraid to try it for so long because of all the negative reviewers. But Lakelands, taken with an open mind and on their own merits, have turned out to be some of my mainstays. Condor (not strictly a Lakeland), Coniston Cut Plug, Bosun Cut Plug, Kendal Flake, Brown Flake scented, All are great smokes if you like this style of baccy. And for the ultimate treat-- try them in a Flacon pipe. They simply bloom.

Mar 1, 2014
Fruit cake is probably the closest thing to what I would describe it as, though there is an element of the "floral" scent that's hard to pin down, but I would never call it soapy.

I have gotten a "soap" flavour, that is, an alkaline flavour in my mouth, any time I've smoked too many times in a row. It seems like three bowls in a sitting is my limit, and then my mouth stops tasting anything but soap (because smoke is highly alkaline). Some tobaccos taste alkaline if I just smoke them hot.

Ennerdale tastes nothing like that.
Tex, do smoke Ennerdale again in a week or so. I found that my tin was much less "floral" on subsequent bowls after it had been opened. I'm not sure if it was my tastebuds adjusting or the tobacco airing out, or both, but it only got more enjoyable after the first bowl.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Hahaha I gave up on Ennerdale after five or six puffs. All I got was some nasty potpourri soapy taste that I hated and it ghosted the hell out of the pipe. Lakelands are definitely a love hate thing and I'm certainly not on the love side.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
I steered away from Lakelands for a long time due to all the talk of soap and perfume. But they also had the reputation of being very easy on the tongue and high in nicotine, and curiosity got the better of me. The first two I tried were Ennerdale and Kendal flakes, and I fell in love immediately. Of course, they don't remind me of toiletries or perfume so much as they do British and Indian cuisine, but that's likely a subjective thing, anyhow.

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
Soap and Perfume? sounds horrid and nothing like the fruit cake mentioned also... how can one blend bring such a different taste? I mean I might like fruit cake and although some soaps smell nice I can't imagine any tasting like a fruit cake. But still I might give it a try.

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
i might throw it in an order. But if I start blowing bubbles you're going to hear about it.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
It certainly takes an open mind. I will say that it was odd to wake up with this morning with that aftertaste in my mouth. I don't think I've smoked anything as pervasive as this. Not bad, but certainly interesting.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
To me, the leaf in Condor is much stouter and the flavoring is fruitier. Ennerdale is more floral and, I believe, has more bright Va and less dark Va and Burley. Condor is just so unique and strange.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I had to try a Lakeland blend (Ennerdale) just out of sheer curiosity. I actually thought I was going to gag over the intense soapy/perfume smell of it upon opening the tin, but I trudged on. Thankfully I stuffed the putrid mess in a cob, took a few puffs, gagged again and promptly stopped. Tossed the cob, rinsed my mouth with mouthwash, opened all of the windows to get rid of the over powering soapy smell (thankfully it was summer) and shortly after sold the tin. NEVER again!
Just proves how divergent ones tastes can be. One man's poison is another man's elixir. :wink:

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
I'm smoking a bowl of Ennerdale right now and I'm really liking it. I just got some Bosun Cut Plug and it is excellent as well. I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the other Lakelands you got too.

Status
Not open for further replies.