PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I recently purchased a small amount of all the Altadis bulks available at PipesandCigars.com that I had not previously smoked. While smoking away, the age-old question of what's a "Balkan" as opposed to an "English" mixture went through my mind. My definitions would be as follows- I'd be interested to get the thoughts of others. (I added in "oriental",too.)
Oriental blend: Virginia or Va/burley base. Little or no latakia. Varying amounts of orientals.
English blend: Virginia or Va/burley base. Amount of latakia varies, but present. Orientals less of a presence than the latakia.
Balkan blend: Virginia or Va/burley base. Amount of latakia and orientals vary, but neither predominates.
I assume in all cases there are no toppings, etc - when you get those,you're in crossover territory - ie, Count Pulaski, some of MacBaren's latakia blends, etc.
Interested in your thoughts.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Labels give me a headache :). I think your definitions would be hard to argue with (although I'm sure someone will).

It starts to get really tricky with something like P&W 400, virginia, latakia, yenidje, burley and perique. What the hell is that called? American English?
See, now I have to go take some aspirin.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
How long have people been blending tobaccos and we don't have a handle on this matter? /sigh
Call it whatever you want. You're the customer after all! :)

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Great piece, Kevin - and makes it easier! I can just say "I like blends with orientals and latakia". Now, that doesn't help when "blenders" still use the old terms. :rofl: :puffpipe:

85royals

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2012
Good Lord your right a Asprin is called for LoL I just Ordered the McClelland Oriental Mixture tin sampler from Pipesandcigars.com and some others I had my eye on so I will see soon i hope..

How long have people been blending tobaccos and we don't have a handle on this matter? /sigh
Call it whatever you want. You're the customer after all!

This is the advice I think I will go with if I dig it then I will smoke it

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
For my taste, English are a bit lighter than the Balkan blends I've tried (Which I don't like)...Orientials...never tried before

Status
Not open for further replies.