PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremya

Lurker
Mar 9, 2014
Hi all, as an aromatics lover who also loves a good single malt whiskey, I'm trying to venture into the more complex and smokey English tobaccos. Any suggestions on the first ones I should try during my foray into English pipe tobacco? Thanks!

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
First off, welcome to the forum!
You didn't say what type of aro's you have been smoking. If you have been smoking sweet aro's and since you like malt whiskey you might first start out with some of the whiskey topped aro's. Here are a few good ones:
Peter Stokkebye's Whisky #2 (Preacher's Secret)

Peter Stokkebye's Highland Whiskey #38

Mac Baren's Scottish Blend Mixture

Sutliff's Dutch Cavendish Whiskey

Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream
Or for milder English & Scottish blends try some of these:
Frog Morton Cellar

Frog Morton

Frog Morton Across the Pond

McClelland's Legends

Peter Stokkebye's Balkan Sasieni

Peter Stokkebye's Proper English

Peter Stokkebye's English Luxury

Boswell's Northwoods

Sutliff's Voodoo Queen

Pease Gaslight (stronger nic)
McClelland's Scottish Woods (Scottish blend)

Davidoff's Scottish Mixture
These are all good and among my favorites. I'm sure you will get many other recommendations.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Welcome, Jeremy!
As with Scotch, the Latakia-forward blends can range in flavor from lighter "crossover" blends (Frog Morton is usually mentioned at this point) to the ones treasured by Latakia lovers (Lat bombs, Balkans, heavy Englishes - my own personal favorite on this end is Black House).
So I guess the question is, are you closer to the Glengoyne end of the Scotch scale, or over on the Laphroaig end? I'm a Laphroaig guy, myself, and when I started in on Latakia blends, I wound up trying Black House early on and loved it - but it was definitely a case of jumping into the deep end.
Others will no doubt have recommendations of their own, but on the lighter end I can recommend the Frog Morton blends, as well as Hearth & Home's "Victorian Stroll" and "Daybreak".

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
What johnnyreb said. Yeah, I'm a fan of McClelland's Frog Morton series, especially Cellar, and On The Town. Another I like is Esoterica's Pembroke, a nice english blend with a little smokey latakia and some cognac.
So many tobaccos and so little time.... :D

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
Welcome to the forum. I'd say you should certainly try the Frogs, also I really like Seattle Pipe Club's Mississippi River. Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe is a nice entry level that is not as sweet as some of the others. You could even go for something like C&D's Epiphany, which is said to be patterned after Einstein's favorite blend called Revelation (no longer made). I'm a big fan of buying a bunch of one ounce samples and seeing what you like. If you don't like something you can jar it for later when your taste might change, or you can put it up here for a trade. I've been able to try many different blends thanks to guys who are willing to trade.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
Sutliff Sunrise is a is a mild mix of Virginia, Turkish, Latakia and Cavendish. McClelland Deep Hollow is a mild toasted Virginia blend. These are good for determining if you like English blends. If so, then try moving on to some of the blends suggested above. Most of them are more robust in flavor than the two I suggested. Happy puffin',
Dave :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
They're right about Frog Morton. Also, not mentioned yet, Nat Sherman 536. Tinned, a little pricey,

but a nuanced blend for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.