PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Macbaren's mixture is not bad for an OTC. Kind bland tho
That has no latakia or Orientals in it that I have ever noticed . Did you mean MacBaren's Latakia?
Sail Yellow has a touch of Oriental tobacco. Sail Green and Walnut both have a touch of latakia - not much. I like the Green a bit better than the Yellow, I think. Walnut is not bad, either - but in both cases you are talking about just a little bit of latakia.
I'm not sure how you define "OTC" - if you mean the sort of tobacco you are apt to find outside of a B&M tobacconist these days, I'd say "no - simply because it's hard to find any of the blends mentioned in this thread other than by e-commerce.

I'm not sure I'd define any of the ones mentioned as "English" blends any way - not in the original sense of having no flavorings other than those given by the tobacco.

Some of the old drugstore blends used to have a bit of those tobaccos in them, but they are gone.
To explore the wonderful world of latakia blends, you're going to have to find a good B&M, or use e-commerce. My personal favorites for "grab it any time" blends of this sort are Peterson's Old Dublin and SG Squadron Leader.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Thanks for the opinions, my local b&m is well over 1oo miles down the road so when I do buy from him its over the phone. I was actually wondering about something cvs or someone might carry. I'll keep the brands in mind, I've so far only tried aro's, so i am looking to expand to something new. I've read you guys talking about squadron leader, ill give it a shot. Any more ideas would be great as I won't be there to sniff & try.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
i was referring to Macbarens mixture as more of a non aromatic blend, its rated 3 stars on baccy reviews and aint bad for an OTC. and yes u r right; no latikia. I figured thats what crpntr1 is referring to .

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
CVS or those kinds of places won't have any. Even back in the day, you had to go to a pipe shop for that stuff. Drugstores carried American, Dutch,and some Danish blends.
Squadron Leader is great stuff, but, like all the SG blends, it is hard to find right now - at least in the States. Altadis (bulk) Majestic English might work, as well as Old Dublin - especially Old Dublin. That's a classic medium English, to my mind.

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
I bought a tub of Walnut a few weeks ago to try. Is said to be an English blend. I don't really notice much of a latakia presence if any, but it has been a pleasant surprise for an OTC. It has a nice mellow, slightly nutty taste. Burns cool, and doesn't bite. I recommend it to try. Its a good all day smoke, and I plan on keeping a couple tubs on hand.
:puffpipe:

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I thought when we said "English" we meant that it isn't flavoured with artificial items. All natural.
I believe I remember reading something on this forum to the effect of Britain had a law that made it illegal to add anything but tobacco to the blends way back in the day.
So when we say "English" it doesn't necessarily have to contain latakia, orientals, or perique right?
Someone back me up or smote me upon the mountain side for being wrong. Thanks. :puffy:

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
Spartan, that's my understanding as well, at least to the point of no flavorings added. However, for some reason it seems these days to mention English, you mean the inclusion of latakia and perique.
From wikipedia: "English" blends are based on natural Virginia tobaccos enhanced with Oriental and other natural tobaccos. There is a growing tendency towards "natural" tobaccos which derive their aromas from artful blending with selected spice tobaccos only and careful, often historically-based, curing processes.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"I thought when we said "English" we meant that it isn't flavoured with artificial items. All natural."
Not exactly. By this definition straight Virginia or Burley would be considered "English". They're not.
There are several posts defining and redefining what makes a blend "English", but the common thread is Latakia.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Mixture is topped, though - lightly, but topped. Referring to it as "English" because it's lightly topped is just going to confuse things. In the States, at least, an "English" blend is one with latakia in it. Yes, the terminology may not be the clearest, but it's best to be aware of it. :puffy:

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
There have been threads here before about what constitutes an "English" blend. I, myself think that a true "English" blend has to contain Virginia, Latakia, and orientals. Some folks think of any tobacco that is not aromatic as an English blend while others think of any tobacco that contains Latakia as an English blend. Then again there are aromatics, nonaromatics, Virginias, Virgina/periques, Virginia/oriental...etc, that are made in England so how could one not call them English? Who knows. I think that we all have our definition of what an "English" blend is and that none of is really wrong, as, to the best of my knowledge, there is no authority governing the definition. With that being said, I'm off to load a pipe with a fine "English" blend and enjoy the smoke.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Walgreens has Sail in several of its locations near the house . OTC means you can get a bag of chips , six pack of beer and some kind of tobacco all in the same place . As for the definition of English blends everyone will have there own opinions on that one . But the header for that thread would say Define English Tobacco . :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.