PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

hooboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
I prefer English Blends above all others and have been smoking them for years and like them strong! Now that being said I am curious As to what English Blends that others prefer that like a strong blend ( Stong = loaded w/Latakia)

a mind is a terrible thing.....to waste!

hoo

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I go hog wild for Dunhill Standard Mixture and Nightcap, but am rather fond of C&D Engine 99 as well.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've found the Dunhill offerings somewhat insipid. For pure Latakia taste, there's Pirate Kake (said to be 75% Lat.). But I generally prefer a GL Pease blend, such as Quiet Nights that I am smoking right now. Really stands up, and has a variety of flavors/tastes to it.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Nightcap for sure. Strong and tasty. Also like:
Star of the East

Peter Stokkebye Proper English and English Luxury

Peterson's Old Dublin

Balkan Sasieni

Magnum Opus (a new favorite thanks to fnord)

Dunhill London Mixture

...and a few more besides. So many good Lat blends out there!

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
C&D Pirate Kake is a great Latakia bomb - a treat for sure. I'm a big fan of G.L. Pease Westminster - it instantly became my favorite, and managed to remove a few blends from my shopping list.
From Dunhill, EMP, My Mixture 965, Dunhill, and London Mixture are well known choices, as some in the thread have already mentioned. You may enjoy McClelland Frog Morton as well.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
If there's enough Lat you can smell it in the tin, it's going to come forward and take charge of the taste and room note. That's why I cut to the chase and only smoke Nightcap. The mackdaddy of Lat blends.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Old Ironside, C&D pirate kake, C&D bowlegged bear, Pease quiet nights, Samuel Gawith Commonwealth, Dunhill nightcap, and samuel gawith balkan flake.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I love that some of the most popular English blends have such benign names like Nightcap and Quiet Nights. The nicotine content is so high that there is NO WAY I could sleep after a pipeful! These are strictly morning blends for me, IMHO. That being said, I enjoy Dunhill Standard Mixture when I am in the mood for an English blend.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Lots of good suggestions already but didn't see these two listed yet:
GL Pease Odyssey

Fairmorn Lancer's Slices
Also ... before Syrian Latakia is all gone ... grab some Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
So here's a dumb question.... if you wanted to brew up an English from blending tobaccos, what would you include?
A formula like this looks like the ultra-basic archetype:
20% Latakia

20% Orientals

60% Virginias
What Orientals would you use? What about adding non-standard ingredients like Cavendishes and Burleys?

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
15% Latakia

35%Perique

50% Red Virginia
I would press it and have an Original and With a splash of rum

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Some basic recipes here:
-Virginia bright-cured: 40%

-Oriental (as aromatic as available): 20%

-Latakia: 25%

-Perique pressure-cured: 10%

-Black Cavendish: 5%
http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/3926-Pure-Tobacco-Pipe-Blends-You-Can-Make

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
Dunhill Early Morning Pipe is a wonderful English, and one of my favorites. It is however mild, and since you are looking for something heavy, I would suggest two that are already listed here:
C&D Star of the East

C&D Da Vinci
Both are filled with lat.

Status
Not open for further replies.