PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
I am a complete novice, and have a question on what I am tasting. I have both Frog Morton and Penzance. The first one third to half bowls with each tastes light and pleasingly "sweet"; maybe sweet is a bad term, but I mean comfortable, light and tasty to me. The last two thirds to one half of the bowls tastes sour; not bad sour, but not as pleasant, again to me, as the first part. As an aid to deciding what future pipe tobaccos to get, would anyone care to speculate on what I am tasting in the last part of the smoke? Perhaps latakia? Bare in mind that my only other experience to date has been with a mellow burley. I have not tried any of the Virginia tobaccos. Thanks!

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
My favorite Latakia blends, actually more Oriental forward blends in order are:
McClelland's 3 Oaks Syrian

McClelland's Blue Mountain

Gawith's Squadron Leader

Dunhill's London Mixture
Any of the above will are truly fine combinations of Oiental, Virginia and Latakia blends.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
The flavor of a bowl can change over the course of smoking it, and the nature of the changes can depend on technique. If, like me, you're learning not to puff like a freight train, the excess heat and steam can alter the flavor, and not always for the better (some people have mentioned a certain bitterness toward the end of a bowl for this reason). If I remember correctly, there's at least one person in here who only smokes the first 1/2 to 2/3 of a bowl, and then discards the rest due to the changes in the flavor profile, which he (?) can't stand.
Not sure if it's specifically changes to the Latakia you're tasting, but I would surmise that it's not a case of the bottom of the bowl having more Lat than the top, at least if your tobacco's a commercial blend. If you're adding more on your own, maybe - but the commercial blends should be relatively uniform from one bowl to the next, and from the top of the bowl to the bottom.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
The Frog Morton I have is the original - just Frog Morton. I do recall a number of people talking to a change in taste part way through a bowl, and that has been my experience too. Do agree that the tobacco mixture is well-blended, at least it certainly looks that way. And agree that it is unlikely some specific tobacco went to one specific part of the bowl. Am I puffing like a freight train? Well, I didn't think so, but I will be more mindful of that in the future. Will keep trying. I do like the English blends I have; just wish the smoke would continue like it starts! And thanks for English blend tobacco brand tips!

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I'm pretty much an exclusive Latakia smoker, and I'd recommend Star of the East, Pirate Kake, and Dunhill's London Mixture and Nightcap as well.
botdl.gif

Arno

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
I might add, John, that you don't have to smoke the whole bowl at once. When it seems to be losing the flavor you want, put the pipe in a rest until it's had some time to cool. Then lightly tamp and relight, and you may gain better taste after the cooling off.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
You've got some pretty good advice here, so far. I would just emphasize: take your time, try different pipes. I don't know what you're used to smoking, but, as Roth pointed out, latakia is a whole new game. I cannot compare to my own experience, because I've been smoking lat blends for 40 years, and just don't remember.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Some ppl like Lat immediately, others hate it on the first bowl. It is a love/hate experience. I found it took many bowls to aquire the taste and even still, it is an occasional bowl for me only. Penz is usually the way I go and it's a slow, gentle smoke, to get the most benefit out of it.

metalmilitia

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 14, 2013
I find that if I smoke to fast and get excess moisture build up, the moisture begins to make its way up the stem and it tastes very bitter. When it happens, I just run a pipe cleaner down the stem to absorb the moisture, let the pipe cool for several minutes and continue smoking

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I might add, John, that you don't have to smoke the whole bowl at once.
This is also a good thing to remember when you're starting out.
I would just emphasize: take your time, try different pipes.
Also a really good piece of advice. Maybe try the Frog Morton in a new pipe. If the pipe starts to get hot, set it down and come back later. Have a drink or some food. Mill about the house for a while. That pipe isn't going anywhere.
If you're in the mood to sample more English blends, try Peterson's Old Dublin. It's a smoke that's packed with huge flavors.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I love latakia, it's almost the main reason I smoke (notice, ALMOST). It at least had a lot to do with "feeding the flame" and propelling me past the hobbyist/dabbler stage. Loved it at first sip, once I figured out it wasn't something wrong with my pipe! But I've never experienced is as "sour," I think Sean may have a better answer for that problem.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I was advised early on to experiment with Latakia blends, and it's some of the best advice I've received. :D
So far, my experience has been largely limited to Hearth & Home blends - I ordered a sampler that included:
Victorian Stroll

House of Lords

Daybreak

and a tin of Black House
The differences between the blends are relatively subtle (except for Black House, which hit me like a brick the first time I tried it) (I got better), but that's all part of the learning process.

balcifer

Lurker
Jul 9, 2013
Hi guys just got home from downtown had stopped by my local B&M here in Montreal and picked up a tin of Peterson Old Dublin. I just packed a bowl and am enjoy a smoke finding Old Dublin very nice for an English blend. It has a cool taste with an interesting aroma with out any tongue bite or burn in the mouth. Granted that it is my first English blend and was worried that this blend would be strong but I am finding it some what mild but very enjoyable.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
Went out on the deck last night with my Kaywoodie loaded with the (regular) Frog Morton. Made a point to sip slowly (through multiple re-lights) and it worked! The taste remained consistently nice throughout. Think perhaps my earlier problem was puffing a lot to get it lit/re-lit. Took it slowly this nice; must remember to do that from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.