PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Looking for a somewhat "middle of the road" latakia blend recommendation to stick in the cellar for a few months before winter. Have tried and enjoyed Dunhill Nightcap, but would like to give something else a try. So probably not looking for a "Lat Bomb"....but also not something too light.
Thoughts?

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I'm about 6 bowls into a tin of Brigham Aurora Borealis and really liking it. Plenty of Lat but not a bomb. Fits my definition of "middle of the road" perfectly.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
You know, I have yet to try a G.L. Pease blend.....might have to try out a couple ounces of this Westminster business....

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
Dedicated Frog Morton guy here... Cant go wrong with any of them in my opinion... I also like Old Dog for a middle of the road English.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Another vote for London Mixture...smoking it right now in fact. Also, in no particular order, Squadron Leader, Balkan Sasieni, Presbyterian Mixture.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
GL Pease Piccadilly is the best of the morning blends much more complex than EMP but his Westminster has more Latakia and would be considered a full English .

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
MacBaren HH Vintage Syrian. I have a lot of lat blends in my cellar most are pretty heavy and have fallen out of favor as my tastes have changed to Va/bur/per blends. Vintage Syrian is the only one I choose now. It has a nice sweetness underlying the not too smoky lat.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Thanks for all the input y'all. I think because I've never tried a Pease tobacco, I'm going to try one out!
mustanggt as I'm a huge fan of MacB HH ODF, You really really tempted me on that HH Vintage Syrian :)

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I should recommend GL Pease Quiet Nights. It is a soft, thick flake of decent strength that is very enjoyable flavor wise. I also enjoy Key Largo.
For a ribbon cut you could try Presbyterian Mixture, which has some nice bass notes on the tamp. I also like Squadron Leader, which is a bit sharper.
For some different flavor you could try one of the chocolate flakes (G&H or S&G) or the navy flakes, which also contain a bit of latakia. I like them both.

phil22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2013
Another vote for Dunhill "My Mixture 965". I bet you will like it.

Jul 15, 2011
Pick yourself up some Dunhill London Mixture, GL Pease Samarra, GL Pease Quiet Nights, or for something a little different, Cornell and Diehl Habana Daydreams is on the lighter end of the spectrum but has some cigar leaf which gives it a nice depth of flavor. GL Pease Key Largo is a real treat with Latakia and has some cigar leaf as well. For a nice bulk option that is really affordable, F&K Lancer Slices probably has a bit more Latakia than youre looking for but dont let that deter you. Its a great blend at a great price.

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
EMP is an excellent choise. But it is very mild and mellow on the latakia. Rattray's Red Rapparee would be my choise, but I think you would enjoy Rattray's 7 Reserve. Try 7R and then RRR. RRR is stronger, but the orientals dominate and the lat is balancing the blend. 7R is the oppsite. Same basic tobaccos in different propotions.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
+1 all Frog Mortons but particularly Cellar

+1 Squadron Leader(Excellent but a bit too light for me)

+1 GLP Westminster
I absolutely positively have to recommend you try these 2 in addition to the one's mentioned above. They are latakia blends with some fantastic orientals:

Hearth & Home Magnum Opus

McClelland's Yenidje Highlander

Status
Not open for further replies.