PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikedoctor

Lurker
Mar 16, 2013
I have a wife better than I deserve but I can tell my Dunhill Standard mixture is not her favorite and I just can't smoke 1Q anymore. Does anyone have a recipe for an aroma she will like but my taste buds won't mind?
I'm wondering about sprinkling in some vanilla but have no experience with taste. Thoughts anyone?

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Have you tried any of the frog morton line? There' also Millionaire Blend by Sterling Tobacco thats a little easier on the bystanders nose

bikedoctor

Lurker
Mar 16, 2013
Hey Chris,
I have smoked a couple Frog Mortan. Wife had no opinion on it. Is there one more aroma friendly than the other?

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Good luck on the English blends - my wife's not a huge fan, either (though she does like the tin note of Black House - the smokiness reminds her of Lapsang Soucham tea).

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
You might want to try a crossover English. I have smoked several, but never found one I can smoke consistently. I don't like the Frogs, but a lot of guys do, and she might like the room note.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Lane 1-Q also got very boring very fast for me, I have found great smelling tobaccos don't have to come at a cost to the flavor of the tobacco, but such pseudo-aromatics (cross-over blends) are difficult to find and they tend to be very polarizing to pipe smokers.
Like many said before Frog Morton is a great smoke, I highly recomend trying the regular kind before switching to varieties of it, it is a very solid blend that tastes very sweet naturally and is deeply complex in flavor. It is great for pipe noobies out there because it has no bite, no matter how hard you puff on it (just in case a noobie is listening).
Aromatic Virginas like some of the Middle Earth Series by Just For Him and Moontrance by CAO can have quite a bit of normal tobacco flavor ontop of smelling great. Try blending Treebeard and Old Toby 50/50 and tell me that smoke isn't a heavenly normal tobacco flavor (feels very oldtimey and wonderful, not that aromatic). Ruins of Isengard and Longbottom Leaf are also top notch in the same way. Also normal, unflavored Virginas can have the full flavor and not smell nearly as harsh as English tobaccos. I rather got stuck on VA's because they tend to have a deeper, more complex flavor than English tobaccos present (although I still love Penzance).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You can mix a medium to mild English blend with the black Cavendish of your choice. Try about

equal parts, mixing just a pipe bowl or two at a time, until you find a mix you like. Most Cavendish

has a good room note, and will cover the English.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
My wife tolerates on the town, doesnt love or hate it

she likes the smell of millionaires blend and miskatonic which is blended by barron samedi, on the forums

Other than that she says they stink pretty much all the same to her

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
My Girlfriend says that Nightcap smells like I'm smoking shit, but that Early Morning Pipe smells like funeral incense (not bad but funeral incense nonetheless). The main thing is she doesn't think it smells bad and never gets upset with the smell. Could be your ticket as well. Mind you there isn't much Latakia in it, but its a very nice smoke IMO.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Ditto on the use of Black Cav. If you're just looking for room note, a little dab'll do ya, and it won't affect the taste too much. You might even like it.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
There are a few latakia-forward blends she might tolerate:
Shortcut to Mushrooms (Just For Him). This is a sweet, latakia-rich aromatic.
Countryside (Boswells) -- A light aromatic English. Great room note, but it's kind of a mild English.
Northwoods (Boswells) -- This is a great English mixture with a lot of latakia/oriental spice but a reasonable room note. This is one of my all-time favorite smokes.
HGL (Lane) -- This tobacco has just been reintroduced to the market after a multi-year absence. It's a mild english with a very pleasant room note (think 1-Q). It is sweeter and has less lat than does Countryside, which is in the same ballpark.
I have also found that mixing, say, 20 to 30 percent latakia with Classic Burley Kake (Hearth and Home) gives me the best of both worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.