PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

goose61

Lurker
Jun 30, 2018
Noticed that bulk supplies for Nightcap, EMP and 965 have all started drying up in the past couple weeks (Smokingpipes now only lists EMP its bulk section). Would be nice to save the tins for later, but that might not be an option for much longer.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Well the death rattle was sounded back in, what, December? Maybe earlier?
I'm surprised its lasted as long as it has really, given the run on blends when we here they are closing. I remember a departed member on here showing off tins and tins and tins of Dunhill blends he bought earlier this year.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I still have some tins of good (to me) Dunhill blends, and at the rate I smoke, they should be available, though dwindling in number, for a while. Meantime, as I persistently say, there are so many wonderful blends promising to stick around for years to come, if we can work around regulatory ardor.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd love to know the inside story on how a widely distributed going brand didn't get sold to one of the other pipe tobacco blenders. It doesn't mean the Dunhill blends would have remained as they are, but an established brand going "poof" is quite a spectacle. Clearly, I'm not one of those who panicked, but as a business phenomenon, I'll tell you, there's an untold story here. Or the sale will be announced once the last tin is sold to panicked customers. As they say, stay tuned. Branding (establishing a brand and customer base) is the hardest part of marketing consumer products. You don't just let it go. It's money on the table.

floridapipeman

Might Stick Around
Jun 3, 2018
There definitely has to be something going on as it defies logic, common sense and good business practices to just let it all go. Time will tell.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Well the Dunhill 'brand' is still around, they just aren't doing anything related to tobacco. So it would make sense they don't want anyone to make Nightcap, as that would interfere with their 'NEW' brand image. Now while the recipes weren't sold, and then distributed by C&D or whoever as Night's End or Early Hours pipe is another story.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
In unrelated news, Captain Black announces its new line of flavors, including:
Early Morning Poop

Fright Slap

My Mix 666

From The Baby's Bottom #38

and

Spoiled Yacht
jay-roger.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The nine tins of Elizabethan I have have been untouched for four years, and is likely a lifetime supply. Too many other tobaccos out there.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There definitely has to be something going on as it defies logic, common sense and good business practices to just let it all go. Time will tell.
BAT was pretty clear when they made the announcement. The pipe tobaccos were not a significant source of income, so they were easily jettisoned. Dunhill cigarettes will still continue to be made.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
My problem is not knowing where (country/continent) I'll be in a year. Hard to stock up with that uncertainty. Here in Germany, Dunhill tins (50gram) can still be found for about 12-14 Euro/ 14-16 dollars. I probably will not buy any. There is a lot of great pipe tobacco available from blenders in Germany and I'd rather try blends that I have a chance of obtaining in the years to come. I can't cellar and if I find something I really love I don't want to be crestfallen when it's no longer available.

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
Noticed that bulk supplies for Nightcap, EMP and 965 have all started drying up in the past couple weeks...
Flake disappeared even earlier. Ironically, Dark Flake is still available.
The death knell was sounded 18 months ago. At this point, anyone who hasn't stocked up didn't care to.
Yeah. They've been pegging the meters at SPC all year long, so it's not like they under-produced on their way out.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If the Dunhill brand just closes, never to be heard from again, I'll skulk off and won't advertise my mistaken notions. If someone finally emerges as a buyer, certain they can capitalize a known brand even if Dunhill couldn't, I'll be tiresome crowing about it, the genius of the week. I apologize in advance.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You weren't the only one - and possibly not the first- to say he thinks the brand will be around despite all the gloom and doom. And I pretty much don't care, as they make no blends that aren't surpassed by other suppliers, including some of our stellar American blenders.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
as they make no blends that aren't surpassed by other suppliers, including some of our stellar American blenders
+1
Many makers have come and gone through the years. Favorites are lost, but at the same time, new favorites can still be found.

Status
Not open for further replies.