PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2012
Denmark
Hello Everyone.
I just opened a 100g tin of Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, blended by Murray's. The tin dates back to 1993, so roughly 20 years of age on this one. The vacuum seal was intact and a strong earthy smell met me upon opening. Sticking my nose in the tin I picked up ammonia, old damp wood and smoky notes. The tobacco was moist and I had to dry it out for 10-15 min on a piece of paper in an even layer. I packed my Parker Poker and lit it up. What a treat! I have never tried EMP and since the current blender is different the one who made this version I did not bother to try a fresh tin first. The taste is so mellow I have never tried anything like it. The smoke almost caresses the mouth and tongue. It smokes cool, burns and behaves well. The taste has a nice depth and a sufficient complexity to it.
Since EMP is mainly Virginia and Oriental I figured that it would age well. Now, since I have not tried EMP fresh or from Orlik it is hard to tell whether it is the aging or the blend it self that is so outstanding.
If you have any experience with EMP (aged/fresh, Murray/Orlik) please share it here.
Thanks and happy puffing :puffy:

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Far superior to the EMP being produced today. There's no question but that we live in an age in which truly magnificent tobaccos are being produced. I challenge anyone to top GLP, C&D, Russ, and McClelland, to name a few. However, there were some classics from days of yore, and the modern blends bearing the same name are really not the same thing.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I have a couple of tins of #759 dating from the late 70's, which I'll open on a special occasion. I'm pretty sure the modern renditions, good as they are, don't match up either. But--and here's the point, they're good in their own right. I also have a tin of new EMP on my desk, and there's an edge to it that I don't recall from the old stuff, an edge that tells me it will not be part of my regular rotation when it's done.

plet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2012
Denmark
Thank you for your inputs! I guess I will have to enjoy the remaining 96 grams even more if Murray's version is/was better and the improvement from ageing is significant on the EMP. Sadly I will probably never get a tin like this again... I better start digging a cellar...

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I really like the current EMP and can only imagine what a 20 year version would be like. Blissful I would imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.