PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ever since Black Monday, the supposed big online holiday shopping day after Thanksgiving,

my email has been burrowing deeper and deeper into sludge. At first it was just sluggish,

but then I was waiting for five or ten minutes for each function -- just to get to email, to

compose a message, to forward, to reply, to delete, and so on. I was reading a book to

pass the time just to conduct necessary business on email. I had planned to go get an

anti-viral program after the weekend, when the stores are less busy, and basically live without

email for a few days. I guess the web wizards read my mind, and after a two-hour break from

email today, I went back, and everything was zip-zip up and and running, shuffling functions

like a Las Vagas blackjack dealer. I guess it was the system, Time Warner, and not my computer.

I scoffed at my idea that it might "heal" itself, and then it did. Does this happen to other people,

or is it just me?

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
It happens to me for many reasons. Sometimes it is my service (Comast sucks). Other times, I think the always on modem / gateway is just taking a breather. For me the first task is to restart the modem and this seems to work most of the times. I think the heat buildup will get to anything over time. I have also found that if anything new is placed near the modem it can either physically block or interfere with the signal. I bought a new modem not too long ago and dropped off the Comcast provided one on their door step. I haven't had no where near as many problems since, and a smaller bill. :D
To your other point AVG or Avast Anti-virus are some of the best programs out there and their free versions are just as good as most programs you would buy in the store. If you need more protection they have versions for purchase as well that give you the extras/ They also don't slow down your computer like Norton and McAfee. You can download them free from Download.com. You can also read reviews from people who have used it and from the professionals at cNet who review the programs most used there.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
I use to have comcast but no more , I went over to Verizon Fios.love it and very fast.

I also left outlook which uesd to be hotmail and got AOL email ,love that too. :puffy:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Do you pay good money for that service?
It's interesting to note that the free AVG seems to be the software of choice for most of the techies I know. Although a lot of them also grudgingly admit that Microsoft seems to have finally got it together.

Status
Not open for further replies.