PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
Lately I've been moving more towards smaller pipes. Especially good with aged Virginia Flakes. I find that I smoke slower and longer than with my midsized pipes. Plus, they are so lightweight. Here are two Eltangs, both with his signature rustication. The Sailor, with carbon fibre stem, utilizes wood left from his carvings that is to small for a larger pipe with stem. Great idea. Adams creation uses an elongated silver mount for the military bit. Like on the Eltang, I asked him to keep the stem thin and straight without the more traditional bulging.
]null[/url] ]null[/url] ]null[/url] ]null[/url] ]null

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I am with you grawdawn and that's a nice looking group of pipes you have there. Although we seem to be a minority and while I have found some blends shine in a big bowl, I really enjoy a nice small bowl pipe. First of all, there are flakes and strong tobaccos to consider but moreover I don't always have the time to finish a large bowl. I have two smaller bowled Ligne Bretagne's that are easily among my favorites and are perfect for a nice twenty to thirty minute smoke, longer with a flake. Nice looking group of pipes you have there.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
To me pipes are like golf clubs or fishing rods; they are all specialized to do something different for me. You need small pipes & small bowls in your arsenal just like you need tall chimneys, big bowls & Lumberman. I select the best pipe for the job at the time.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"But, it always seems so much harder to find smaller pipe diameters, especially from the artisans."
Tall chimneys often have bores less than 0.75". I think that's one reason why they draft so well.

And, chimneys are easier to find? I always keep an eye out for them on the Bay, but they rarely come up.

It is interesting that if you look at old photographs and paintings smaller pipes were all that you really see up until the mid 20th century, with a few exceptions... crazy artists, ha ha.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Graydawn,
You might try shooting your pictures on a little darker background next time. It's hard to see detail on the pipes because your automatic camera underexposed them due to the light colored background.
Cosmic,
There were some tobacconists back in the day who made a few hundred pipes each that are known to be good smokers today, when you can find them. They're not always boutique names however. That's half the fun to me; doing the research and looking for those vintage pipes.

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
Ok thanks. I'm working on my photography. I'll try the darker background.
Richard

May 31, 2012
27034d_m.jpg

Very nice pipes!

:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.