PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2011
Hi All,

Been awhile since I have done a post, but wanted to chime in on a new bday pipe I just got myself. The Eltang Basic/Natural Rusticated. I can not say enough about this little workhouse , it is amazing and does exactly what I can only imagine Tom was going for in all his pipe designs...keeping the tobacco front and center. I have been smoking one of my favorite blends in it for the last few days , GLP''s Temple Bar. The smoke is cool/dry and full of flavor. The Basic is so lightweight I almost forget it was being clenched and I just lose myself in the total enjoyment of the smoke, just outstanding. So if you where on the fence and looking them over , snag one - they come in an assortment of designs and finishes. I'm probably going to pickup another Rusticated this time in his Ruby finish. The acrylic bit and button are spot-on, super comfortable to clench.
002-837-00683535.jpg

Jul 12, 2011
Glad you are npod, I wasn't sure how I would like it but I'm happy I took the leap of faith, hehe..
The next one should be here this week sometime, lol
002-837-00869474.jpg

Reactions: autumnfog

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I have been quite tempted by these little pipes since I first saw them. They are not really my style but as a purely functional fishing pipe, I can see it as perfect.

Jul 12, 2011
I also looked at the Compass line, but a few things didn't hit the mark for me; 1. metal shank vs carbon fiber 2. vulcanite vs acrylic bit 3. weight and 4. length and chamber sizes... all where factors for me and pushed me to the Eltang Basic. I also always wanted an Eltang poker, hehe and comparing pricing on his standard pokers at $500+ it was a win-win for me with the Basic. :puffy:
I'm happy to report that the Eltang Basic is a true workhouse as they said in the SmokingPipes reviews, I have been hammering away at it for the last few days. Each smoke is consistent, dry/cool and gives me a great smoking experience. :worship:

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Interesting. Those are precisely the things that push me towards the Compass: metal shank (cooler smoke), acrylic (no oxidation), and smaller chamber (can't smoke indoors—must have short smokes).
Not trying to get argumentative, Mr Smoking Dragon. I'm actually glad that you're enjoying the pipe, and also that your input on the Compass has pointed me in the right direction. :)

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Does anyone own both the Eltang and the compass and would care to compare the smoking qualities of the two? My thoughts are if I'm going to own a but ugly pipe,perhaps the $40 is the more sensible choice. The real downside I see to the compass is an even narrower bowl id.

cachimbero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2019
Cordoba, Spain
I ordered one a few weeks ago, a smooth high contrast one. After a few smokes, two more are on the way to me. I find it a superb flake pipe. It is a pipe that "gets out of the way" and, as stated above, lets you alone with your smoke. It is not my style, I bought one out of curiosity and now I am impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.