PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

katarn07

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2016
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/mobile/lighters/96797/decatur-pipe-lighter/
I bought this lighter and it's served me well up until about a week ago. I find instead of pushing the button and getting a flame, it takes 5-10 tries before anything happens. I checked the butane level and its full and it doesn't appear to be leaking. Does anyone have any experience with lighters with this ignition system? Is this lighter on its way out or do you have any advice on how to fix it?

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
Try letting the gas out - it's not an on-off switch. Press slowly. The piezoelectric spark happens sort of midway of the press in this type of lighter. Just go slowly...

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I have one of those and have the same problem. Basically it is an el cheapo lighter. I have had another electronic ignition lighter for @three years and it works fine. Very pleased with it.

katarn07

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2016
I see a spark everytime I hit the button. Whether I press it slowly or quickly seems to have no correlation to whether or not it wants to light. So it may not be the actual ignition system if I see that spark. Is it possibly clogged?

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Do you bleed the tank before you refill it with butane? You would be surprised how much air gets in the fuel tank as you use it. This little trick can make a big difference in the performance of a refillable lighter. Simply use something to press the fill valve until all pressure (built up air) is released before refilling the lighter from the can of butane. It's that simple. Not saying this is the absolute fix for yours, but it's a simple step and worth a try.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If the gas comes out too quickly, it won't light as the force is too much for the little spark; nor if it's too weak, there won't be enough to catch. Damnable things! I have a Xicar old boy model and am none too happy with it.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The truth about butane lighters is they're all disposible, just some of them cost a buck and some cost several hundred bucks. My Zippo lights on the first or second flick and never needs bleeding of the tank or any other silly shenanigans. And it works outdoors in a stiff breeze.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
These here electronic/piezoelectric lighters unfortunately have a very limited life. I use the cheapo angled gas lighters that after only a couple of months use refuse to 'click' thereby making them disposable despite them being refillable.
All made in China you see :evil:
Regards,
Jay.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
The truth about butane lighters is they're all disposible
A truth if ever one was told. You buy a Zippo, you lease a butane lighter.
If you haven't already, try the previously suggested purge; this is a very important part of refilling a butane lighter.
I find that, sometimes, the tip of the electric ignition becomes bent away from the gas, making it harder to light. If it looks out of line, use something to carefully put the thing back in place. Other than that, the best suggestion is to buy a different lighter. Xikars are garbage, but come with a sweet warranty. Zippos use fluid, but are extremely well made for the price and they also have a warranty. Colibri I don't trust, no warranty and shoddy manufacturing. Never tried anything else that is still manufactured.
Nimrod lighters are unique, well made, and highly collectible. Can cost up to about $60, but the Commander is a solid lighter that runs on Zippo consumables and has a better, in my opinion, chimney.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
The truth about butane lighters is they're all disposible
I have found Piezoelectrics to be the least reliable. Lots to go wrong. You are bending a crystal which develops a voltage then releasing it to ground for a spark. I mostly prefer the old-fashioned flint wheel. Only thing to go wrong there is to occasionally need to stick a new flint in!
As to disposability, my piezo cigar lighter costs $89 ten years ago while my flint butane pipe lighter cost $150 before that. I'll never be throwing them away even though for pipes, I most often just use a kitchen match.

Status
Not open for further replies.