PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
What would I call this shape? A bent horn? I've never seen one like this before. Has anyone seen one?

alberteinstein-pipe-1.jpg

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
A bent one though? I've never seen a Zulu bent down like that. I like it.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
It's maybe a bent horn, or a hybrid zulu? I just had Zulu pop into my brain when I looked.

I've recently realized that a slightly bent stem is my preference, so, I like this one too!

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Regardless of the type, the man behind it makes it amazing, and some of the best pipe quotes, I feel come from him.

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
Looks as though maybe the pipe is hanging just barely out of his mouth and the stem actually isn't as bent as it appears. Just an idea.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
The Mycroft in this poster can be similar to his.

b193b217af36a1de34b8735e899db5d4.jpg

Einstein's pipe in the photo has the curve of a horn-shape pipe to it.

Overall, it can be a horn-zulu-Dublin hybrid.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think it's the stem of the pipe that is unusual, tilting the pipe such that the bowl is horizontal. If a canted bowl is part of the zulu shape, I can't see that this is canted, just tipped forward by the unusual stem. Shapes are pretty squishy, so if you want to call it a zulu, it doesn't offend me, but to me this looks like a Dublin briar with an unusual bent stem that tilts it forward like it wants the tobacco to come spilling out. Jaunty, though. Albert had style.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Zulus are a lot like cuttys in that you don't see the name used often. I have seen a few dublins that I would have call zulus here and there.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Savinelli's 904 has the same issues with classification. I have heard it called zulu, dublin, and even yachtsman.

Status
Not open for further replies.