Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
I bought an old Edwards on eBay today to practice cleaning, opening airways, maybe refinishing etc.
It got me curious. I don't find much about them on the internet. One thing I read said that Edward's was a French pipe maker who sort of cornered the market on Algerian briar and then move the operation to the US in the 70's or 80's.
But other stuff seems to indicate Edward's is a house pipe for Edward's tobacco shop. Some talk that Randy Wiley made pipes for them in the 80's.
Anyoen know much about Edward's pipes? Frank I've seen you mention an Edward's in the "what are you smoking" thread.
I;m jsut curious more than anything. Oil cured algerian Briar. Were/are these a decent pipe of the assembly line sort of like a Dr. Grab? Are they factory seconds sold to Edward's....good smokers? Etc. Etc.
By the way speaking of Dr. Grab....I also bought a practically free Willard because those high end first line Dr. Grabows are just to high end for me! :>)

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
They are?
I paid like 8 bucks with shipping for the one I bought. There were a few others that sold for about that as well. God to know they are decent pipes.
The one I bought has some rim burn but it doesn't' look to bad and I plan to sand a refinish the whole pipe anyway so I'll just take the lip down a bit and start over.
Looks like old wood.
Based on your endorsement Uncl, I'll make this my first "hot rod".

fhb2532

Lifer
Feb 22, 2010
Jonesing, I have about 12 edward's pipes. They are some of favorites. Back in the 70's when i got them there were 3 "grades" starting at about 35-40 bucks and up to about 125 for top grade freestyle (Ihave 3 of those). They had some interesting non-standard shapes..All of mine seem to be good smokers, even now.Have fun refinishing and take lots of pictures of your progress.

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.