Edgeworth Sliced -- Vintage Tin Opening (PICS)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks to misterlowercase, I recently sampled some vintage Edgeworth Sliced from several decades ago. I wonder what it was like fresh, but the sample I had was very molasses forward with good burley flavor. It was much like a cross between Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match (Altadis) and Wessex Burley Slice. Good stuff. Thanks, again, misterlowercase!
At about the same time as I received that sample, I was able to purchase a sealed, vintage tin on ebay. I just opened it up a few minutes ago and while completely dry, the slices were perfectly preserved. I'll get to the rehydration later this evening, but I may try some "as is" and see how it smokes. What appears to be mold is just tobacco dust and perhaps some dust from the yellow wrapper. Otherwise the tobacco is in good shape. In any case, the pictures:
edgeworth-sliced-001-600x400.jpg

edgeworth-sliced-002-600x400.jpg

edgeworth-sliced-004-600x400.jpg

edgeworth-sliced-005-600x400.jpg

edgeworth-sliced-006-600x400.jpg

edgeworth-sliced-007-600x400.jpg

edgeworth-sliced-008-600x400.jpg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
After hearing what others have said about their own experiences with old, dried out tobacco, I put some in a small pipe and fired it up. It actually burned very cool and the flavor and room note were straight-up burley with a touch of molasses. No off flavors at all. I plan to rehydrate some of it and see how that affects the smoke -- some vintage tobacco aficionados swear that rehydrated tobacco is little different from fully preserved tobacco, but I'm skeptical. I suspect some flavor elements are lost for good. Here's Neill Archer Roan's take on it:

http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills-blog/2011/2/22/how-to-rehydrate-tobacco-successfully.html

May 31, 2012
Awesome thread Pitch, thanks for the pictures!
You got a good deal on the tin, pretty scarce to find 'em unopened.
We know from the tax stamp, series 124, that the tin is from 1954!
The tin I had was 1960-74, they stopped the tax stamps in 1960, mine didn't have an image of DeWitt Clinton, only the 1.5oz. text and the letters LB in a diamond.
It's great being able to experience such an iconic tobacco in its original form, I've read that the later versions, both the British & the Danish, were quite different from the Larus formula. Although it's pretty basic, it certainly has a certain charm and it's deeply satisfying.
I recently discovered this tidbit:

It was sliced and stood on "edge" in rectangular tins to show the

costly outer layer of the Cavendish cake of Burley and Bright leaf,

it was promoted as being "worth" the higher price.

Hence the name "Edgeworth."

You've probably already seen this, but here's a great write-up by N.A.R.,

http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills-blog/2013/1/7/relax-with-edgeworth.html
Congrats!

:puffy:

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
We know from the tax stamp, series 124, that the tin is from 1954!
The tin I had was 1960-74, they stopped the tax stamps in 1960, mine didn't have an image of DeWitt Clinton, only the 1.5oz. text and the letters LB in a diamond.
In all my research on this (c. 10 minutes worth), I couldn't find a date for the stamp. Thanks for finding that. So...that tobacco is nearly 60 years old. My dad was 6 when this tin hit the shelves. Pretty cool.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
samcoffeeman, I just watched your vid. That tobacco looked awesome! Much darker and fresher looking than mine. Did you ever end up posting about it on the Forums, here?

May 31, 2012
I found the info here, although in relation

to cigs, the excise tax stamp series # is universal,

http://cycleback.com/packdate.html

...then I found out about different images being used,

although series 124 will still mean 1954, but the image on

your stamp should be of John Quincy Adams as he was used

for smoking tobacco...
...DeWitt Clinton for cigarettes, Henry Clay for Cigars

and Charles Foster for chaw.
John Loring also had some info,

http://loringpage.com/pipearticles/duntob1.htm

Older tins from before the 1970s will be found with blue United States ‘Act of 1926’ tax stamps – adding ‘1829’ to the “Series” number on such stamps will give the approximate year of import, also the year of import will sometimes be stamped on the tax stamp.
Here's what the one tin I had looked like,

it pretty much crumbled all apart after

handling, but the tobak itself was incredibly

well preserved and a good smoke!
p1050484-1280x8541-600x400.jpg

p1050486-1280x8541-600x400.jpg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
UPDATE 5/27:
Well, my lovely tin of Edgeworth Sliced turned out to be a bust. Upon rehydrating, the smell of mold, mustiness and mildew became more and more obvious. While the tobacco in the tin was totally dry and free from visible mold, the smell of the rhydrated tobacco said otherwise. Even worse, it just plain stank. Oh well, it was fun to play around with and I've got this really purdy tin that has "many handy uses" (preserving tobacco not being one of them).

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Did you taste any mold on the tobacco when it was dry? Before rehydrating? It could be that it was fine before. I've had that experience myself. Just curious.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
docwatson, Interesting question. In fact, I tried some dry, before rehydrating, and it tasted like an old-timey burley (albeit very, very dry). Do you think something on the tobacco bloomed into nastiness during the rehydration process? Admittedly, I probably rushed things and tried to rehydrate too fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.