PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

henrymars

Lurker
Mar 13, 2013
I only have one tin of Edgeworth Sliced left. I really don't want to open it, so I need an alternative that is similar. I actually started smoking Stonehaven instead and a lot of it. The problem is that I am sick of spending hours looking for scant quantities of Stonehaven. What I need is a recommendation for a bulk alternative to Edgeworth sliced. I want to buy several pounds of it and put it up for the future. Any suggestions?

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Poss. Wessex Burley Slices or MacBaren ODF flake, the ODF I know you can buy in one pound boxes, I believe that the Wessex Burley only comes in 2oz tins, however I think that the Wessesx Burley Slices is closer to Edgeworth Sliced than ODF.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Philobeddoe is right. And I would recommend Wessex Burley Slices over ODF judging by your personal taste, though I like both very much. You could always try Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match which is sold by P&C. It's less strong than the slices, but there is a little similarity in taste.

henrymars

Lurker
Mar 13, 2013
Over the years I have become more of a flake smoker. Any input on some of the C & D offerings? I would buy the Wessex if it came in bulk. MacBaren's is a no go for me. There is something about the way they process their stuff that doesn't sit well with my body chemistry.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
C&D's burley flakes are all rather strong and unlike ES. I don't believe those are in bulk anyway. I cant think of one C&D flake that fits what you are looking for. If you're insisting on bulk flakes, you likely will find it hard to get what you're looking for. The Wessex isn't quite like ES, but it's about the closest being made today. If you don't want to buy that because of the expense, then I can't recommend Solani Aged Burley Flake, because it's not cheap either. It's really good, though. Don't know what else to tell you.

henrymars

Lurker
Mar 13, 2013
Well I ordered some Solani Aged Burley Flake ... we'll see if it does the job. If not I guess I will try the Wessex offering.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I would not worry about that body chemistry thing when it comes to Old Dark Fired. A completely different aninal. One fine Burley Flake. Well worth a try IMHO.
Mike S.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I would not worry about that body chemistry thing when it comes to Old Dark Fired. A completely different aninal. One fine Burley Flake. Well worth a try IMHO.
Mike S.

Status
Not open for further replies.